I installed the Turnkey Redmine Streamable VMDK image with OVF, to my ESXi host, updated it and everything works just as i expected, however i would like to use this post to ask for support in changing: Postfix MTA (bound to localhost) to allow sending of email (e.g., password recovery) to using SMTP with a Google business email account i have so that mails send by this machine don't end up in the SPAM folder.

In this section i show what i did so far:

1. made a backup of file /var/www/redmine/config/configuration.yml that has following contents:

production:
  email_delivery:
    delivery_method: :sendmail
    smtp_settings:
      address: 127.0.0.1
      port: 25

and with this configuration emails are send OK but end up as spam on google

2. i then read up on and chose to use this piece of code:

# ==== SMTP server at using TLS (GMail)
#
# This might require some additional configuration. See the guides at:
# http://www.redmine.org/projects/redmine/wiki/EmailConfiguration
#
# production:
#   email_delivery:
#     delivery_method: :smtp
#     smtp_settings:
#       enable_starttls_auto: true
#       address: "smtp.gmail.com"
#       port: 587
#       domain: "smtp.gmail.com" # 'your.domain.com' for GoogleApps
#       authentication: :plain
#       user_name: "your_email@gmail.com"
#       password: "your_password"

from the configuration.yml.example

3 that i edited in to the configuration.yml as:

production:
email_delivery:
delivery_method: :smtp
smtp_settings:
enable_starttls_auto: true
address: "smtp.googlemail.com"
port: 465
domain: "********.com"
authentication: :plain
user_name: "********@********.com"
password: "********"

where ******** is personal information, and all configuration options mirror my Thunderbird configuration that works.

However this configuration doesn't do any email sending on  Turnkey Redmine Streamable VMDK image with OVF that i have and i don't know what to do next. Here is where i need your help if possible. Thanks

PS: what i think i need to do is install a SMTP client, but not sure how and if it's compatible with what i have so far.

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

But I don't think that you should need to install anything. I just had a google and found Redmine's email config page and it looks like it is pretty comprehensive.

My search also turned up an old forum post which mentioned that the formatting of the file is important. Have a look at that and make sure that you don't edit config files in Windows (or if you do, don't use Notepad!).

Add new comment