Kate's picture

Hi there,

I am trying to run a local server to modify settings on a complex theme. 

The theme's zip is 85mb.

I downloaded the Turnkey Wordpress to do this and am running it through VirtualBox. I am running the most recent Virtualbox.

When I first tried to upload the file, Wordpress threw the error

"The link you followed has expired.

Please try again."

I went into the Webmin and changed the PHP settings to the following (other settings are default);

Maximum memory allocation = 256m
Maximum file upload size = 256m
Maximum input parsing time = 120 s
Maximum execution time = 120 s

I have also allocated 1gb ram to the VM. My PC is 16gb ram Gen 2 i7 and is more than powerful enought to run the VM.

I have tried rebooting the VM to ensure the settings take effect. I still can't upload the theme and get the same error.

Any suggestions on how I can either remedy these errors or how I can get around upload issues?

Thanks

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

I was away for a little over Easter and it looks like I missed your post when I did a quick clean up of the forums last week. Sorry about that.

Ok, so your first issue ("The link you followed has expired. Please try again.") seems like it is to do with stale cookies or an expired security token, or something similar. First thing to do would be to ensure that you are correctly logged into the Admin area of WordPress.

The next thing to do would be to ensure that the webserver has full access to WordPress data (it should be default, but perhaps you've inadvertently changed something?). To do that, log in via commandline (SSH, e.g. via PuTTY or similar) and run the following:

chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www/wordpress

Another alternate option to install the theme would be to do it manually. I.e. upload the file(s) to your WrodPress server via (S)FTP. SFTP (i.e. FTP via SSH on port 22) is enabled and ready to use by default in all TurnKey servers. Use the 'root' account and the password you set at boot time. Please keep in mind though that by default, the uploaded files will be owned by root, so you will need to use the chown line above to ensure the webserver account owns all the files. For details on installing themes manually, please see the WordPress docs.

Add new comment