Hi everyone! This patch based on TKLCore Lucid will get you a light-and-beautifull desktop system, that may serve as a base for the future TKL Client appliances. I must thank to everyone that gave it's opinion here. I took almost all of them in consideration. Special mention to Jed as he invested time investigating the available options in which I based this patch. Please give this patch a ride and continue the brainstorming here, as usual, comments are welcome.
- LXDE (Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment)
- LXDM (Display Manager)
- Wicd (Wired and wireless Network Manager)
- Chromium Web Browser
- Xrdp+Tightvnc for remote desktop access (Terminal Services Compatible)
- Synaptic for package management.
- ePDFView (PDF Document Viewer).
- Root account disabled for extra security.
- Created an administrators group and added to the sudoers file (users in this group will be able to make sudo)
- Default user admin (added to administrators group) with pass turnkey.
What it does:
1. Set Hostname
HOSTNAME=tklclient echo "$HOSTNAME" > /etc/hostname sed -i "s|127.0.1.1 \(.*\)|127.0.1.1 $HOSTNAME|" /etc/hosts hostname tklclient
2. Update package information
3. Remove server stuff
apt-get -y purge webmin* confconsole shellinabox byobu openssh-server rm -Rf /usr/share/webmin
4. Install packages
install lxde lxdm xorg wicd-gtk chromium-browser xrdp tightvncserver gksu epdfview synaptic
5. Create a default non-root user "admin" with password "turnkey"
useradd -m -s /bin/bash admin passwd admin <<EOF turnkey turnkey EOF
6. Add admin group and grant sudo permission
groupadd administrators echo "%administrators ALL=(ALL) ALL" >> /etc/sudoers
7. Add user to some groups (netdev for wicd and administrators to give sudo permission)
usermod -a -G netdev admin usermod -a -G administrators admin
8. Disable root account
passwd -l root
apt-get -y autoremove apt-get clean