Keith Darby's picture

I download the file and tried to unzip but I cant find the install.

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

The ISO is a CD image. So if you like, you can burn it to a CD and install it to a PC (if you do a full clean install you may risk wiping the current contents of the hard drive).

The other (and probably bettter IMO) option is to install to a virtual environment such as Virtual Box. There is a tutorial in the TKL documentation here. The version of VBox is a little outdated and the TKL install is a little different now, but should be close enough to get you going.

Any issues don't hesitate to ask.

Keith Darby's picture

Thanks JedMeister ,  I'm really new at this. I program in php mysql .  I have a client that wants to run His website locally on his laptop at craft shows when thewre is no inernet conection so he can run an email signup program. The site runs php and postgres so this appliance is what he wants installed on the laptop.  I will load it on my desktop for testing and will load it on his machine when I know what to do. I looked at the VM installation and it looks straight forward. Adding this step won't wipe my hard drive??? How does VM run on the desktop? I aready burn the CD.

Keith Darby

KeVaCo.com

Jeremy Davis's picture

Then you can just use the ISO to install (rather than the CD). You can play around with it, get it all setup then instead of having to recreate the whole thing from scratch you can just export the VM from within VBox. Then on your clients PC install VBox and import the VM.

As long as you install to the virtual environment (VBox) there is no risk that you will lose any data (beyond usual day-to-day use that is).

The VM will run within a window but its probably easiest to minimise that window and just use the device via your host machine's web browser.

Keith Darby's picture

Thank You so much JedMeister for you patience.

which version do I download for a vista OS from website http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads to get started?

Keith Darby

KeVaCo.com

Jeremy Davis's picture

For Windows I'd just download the first one (VirtualBox 3.2.10 for Windows hosts x86/amd64). It should work for any version of Win OS from 2000 -> 7.

It should be fairly straight forward. Post back if you have issues.

Keith Darby's picture

Thanks JedMeister,

VM VirtualBox is installed  -- now how do I install the Appliance?  I have a CD burned and also downloaded to my desktop. I can't seem to find what triggers the install.

Keith Darby

KeVaCo.com

Keith Darby's picture

The Appliance is installing  -- etho configuration is not working

I tried
        address 192.168.116.1
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.116.254
        dns-nameservers 192.168.116.254

I'm getting no lease found.  this is for local desktop use only (no connection to the internet)

Keith Darby

KeVaCo.com

Jeremy Davis's picture

By default it'll be set to NAT, you'll want 'host only' probably. There is a page on virtual networking in the documentation that may be helpful if you'd like to understand the differences.

Keith Darby's picture

every time I restart It boots to the appliance  I installed it to Virtual Box but now when I start the computer it wants to boot from the Hard Drive and goes right to Turnkey to configure and I'm stuck in the eth0 configuration.

Keith Darby

KeVaCo.com

Jeremy Davis's picture

In the VBox window of your VM (where you previously tried setting your IP) instead of setting networking, select shutdown. This will shutdown your VM. Once it has shutdown, in the main VBox window select your VM on the left and click the orange settings button at the top. In the window that pops open you should be able to find networking and adjust it as I suggested above.

Keith Darby's picture

the computer competely shuts down  I think I might have wiped out the windows OS

Keith Darby

KeVaCo.com

Jeremy Davis's picture

The idea is to use the ISO file (not a CD). That way its pretty much foolproof.

If you installed to the machine itself using the CD then yes it sounds like you have deleted the OS and all its data.If that's what you've done, I really hope there wasn't anything important on there!

Perhaps I didn't explain myself properly but I thought that between what I have written and the tutorial it was pretty obvious. Maybe not obvious enough by the sounds of it!? I'm really sorry if I haven't been clear enough with you.

Keith Darby's picture

Thank You for all your help!!

I think what happened was I did everything right -- downloaded and VM  -- installed from the ISO to the VM but when the Install was complete the install wanted to reboot and the cd was still in the drive. and WAM new Turnkey operating system operating system. How can I get past the eth0 config so I can at least use the operating system to complele the install and set up what I intend to do for the customer.

Keith Darby

KeVaCo.com

Jeremy Davis's picture

So remove the CD so we don't scare ourselves anymore! Then as I said before shutdown the TKL appliance running in the VM. Adjust the network settings and you should be good to go.

Keith Darby's picture

I don't think we are on VM anymore I think turnkey is the OS -- when I do the "shutdown the appliance" the computer shuts down ,powers off. The CD has been out since I had THAT ooooooooooooo n0000000000000 MOMENT.  So right now I'm stuck trying to configure a network.

Keith Darby

KeVaCo.com

Jeremy Davis's picture

Or did it end up that you accidentally killed your Win OS?

Keith Darby's picture

Thanks JedMeister,  I got into webmin and got around however I stuck on how to get the PHP pages uploaded and executing. Not sure what to do next.

Keith Darby

KeVaCo.com

Jeremy Davis's picture

I find an FTP client is very handy for file management (rather than the Webmin file manager). I prefer Filezilla but others like WinSCP, plus there are plenty of others. Just make sure you are trying to connect via SFTP (not FTP or FTPS). Another neat looking app I came across recently is Swish (if you want to live dangerously, its only in alpha). Its a Win Explorer extention so you can connect via SFTP natively.

Also a SSH client such as PuTTY can be handy too. Even when using a locally hosted VM, a terminal window in PuTTY is preferable I find.

I'm not sure of LAPP but assuming its similar to LAMP then the web document root should be the default /var/www

php should just work out of the box.

Keith Darby's picture

I uploaded a php page to /var   what would be the url to run the signup.php page

I'm guessing http://192.168.56.101/var/signup.php  --  same for the FTP  what would FTP address be that be?

Thanks JedMeister  --  We will get this

Keith Darby

KeVaCo.com

Keith Darby's picture

sftp://root@192.168.56.101/root/var/www/sinup.php  what is the URL to execute the page?

Keith Darby

KeVaCo.com

Jeremy Davis's picture

For starters you got your upload address wrong (sorry my fault - I sometimes forget how confusing Linux can be when its new) so I'll explain a little.

Firstly the term root is a somewhat generic term and means pretty much what you'd imagine. Where the confusion can creep in is when it is used in context, so root user is like the admin user, but the root of the filesystem is '/' not '/root' - '/root' is the root users home directory (so is the default home location or '~' of the default TKL account). For interest sake all other user's home directories will be /home/username by default.

So when I said the document root should be /var/www I meant it (not /root/var/www).

Just in case I haven't confused you yet I'll keep going :)  From outside your server (as seen from another machine) is your web root eg in your case http://192.168.56.101/ Your web root and the document root (/var/www) are in effect the same place (one as viewed from outside via the web, the other as viewed from inside your machines filesysystem).

So if you upload signup.php into the folder /var/www and then in your browser's address bar browse to http://192.168.56.101/signup.php you should see your code in action!

Keith Darby's picture

Thank YOU SO MUCH JedMeister!!! I still got some work to do to get The Clients Programs to work but I know my way around now.  Just to be sure this is working locally not internet? What was stopping me was the ISO file reboot -- In my Windows Installer experience all the files are installed and I was expecting the control panel to pop up and life would be good.  I didn't get that The OS installed and booted and webmin was the next step. Also not selecting the Host-Only adapter when I installed VM kept me awake a few nights cause I couldn't get the IP's to reconcile -- once I reinstalled VM with that adapter it worked. You are an invaluable asset to this Fourm and I never would have done this without You. -- I'm sure I'll have another question or 2....

Thanks again.

Keith Darby

KeVaCo.com

Jeremy Davis's picture

Glad you're away now. Feel free to ask more questions although if you start getting into more technical stuff to do with apache, php or databases and whatever I'm not too sure how useful I'll be to you. I'm always keen to have a crack though and who knows, I'll probably end up learning a thing or 2 myself!

Don't be scared to share any experiences and feedback too. Things like what would have made it easier for you to get started etc. The core devs (Alon and Liraz) are always keen to make the TKL experience better, smoother and more user friendly.

Keith Darby's picture

Move right alone setting up Lapp for the client - working with Filezila which is my new favorite FTP.

File Manager brings up a blank screen in the webmin part of Lapp. I would like to get File Manager to work just for Him to feel confident all is installed and working in the client. Any suggestions??

Keith Darby

KeVaCo.com

Jeremy Davis's picture

The Webmin File Manager relies on Java so make sure there is a relatively recent version of Java installed on the user's system and it is configured properly with their web browser. I have had no issues with Firefox or Chromium but haven't tried Safari or IE so not sure of your mileage there. I would expect it to work with any browser though (you will need to allow the self signed certs though obviously).

Keith Darby's picture

How do i connect the php pages to the database?  -- this is what I'm trying

pg_connect("host=localhost port=5432 user=postgres password=pottery dbname=postgres")
        or die("could not connect to pg db");

how would I test to display the records on the table mailing_list_sources with fields id and name  ?

Keith Darby

KeVaCo.com

Keith Darby's picture

The PostgreSQL host configuration file /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf was not found on your system. Maybe PostgreSQL has not been initialised, or your module configuration is incorrect.

Keith Darby

KeVaCo.com

Jeremy Davis's picture

I have no experience with PostgreSQL at all. This question will need to be answered by one of the devs (Alon & Liraz) or someone else who knows their way around PostgreSQL. Sorry I can't help.

Add new comment