Mark Foster's picture

I ran a restore from a previously ran back up using the command TKLBAM and everything worked fine.  But, now I cannot access webmin through port 12321. I can access the shell on port 12320 but not webmin.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I was able to access it before the restore process.

Thanks,

Mark foster

Forum: 
Sam's picture

I have a similar problem.

I upgraded webmin then restored and could not access webmin on the new VM.

I used TKLBAM on both VM's, the base machine for both started with TurnKey Linux Core.

I think it might have something to do with upgrading webmin.  I had installed my other packages through the shell and updated webmin from inside webmin.

Sam
Mark Foster's picture

I upgraded webmin also inside of webmin then ran TKLBAM.  Could upgrading webmin be the problem?

Mark

This came up before, although I can't find where. I am confident TKL will provide updated webmin packages via repo. If I remember right, there's a horrible loop that happens when updating through the webmin interface. Someone will correct me on this or address it more precisely. I'm confident of that. I'm writing from a faint memory of one of my first interactions about TKL.

So in short, this is my tentative assertion: apt-get upgrade will handle webmin updates if there are any (to TKL devs' judgement).

Rik

Jeremy Davis's picture

But not really sure how to fix it. You could try uninstalling Webmin and reinstalling it from the repo. But unistalling it will remove any extra modules that are installed, you'll have to add them yourself.

apt-get remove webmin
apt-get update
apt-get install webmin

If that doesn't work to get Webmin up and running you could try purging all the Webmin data when uninstalling (apt-get --purge remove webmin).

I guess the other way to go would be to manually edit the backup, prior to restore to remove the offending Webmin bits that are breaking things. But I have no idea how you'd go about that.

[edit] Just realised there is another thread detailing the same issue here where Alon (one of the TKL devs) has put in his 2c.

Liraz Siri's picture

As you can see, it screws stuff up. You are not even supposed to be able to do that from the Webmin interface. We tried disabling this feature, but I guess we didn't do it right. I consider this a bug that will be fixed in the next maintenance release.

If possible, I recommend you start from a clean installation and restore the most recent backup before you upgraded webmin.

edward's picture

i would like to reinstall webmin but its says here not recommended instead start clean installation., so how can we restore the backup exlcluding webmin?

thanks,

edward

Liraz Siri's picture

tklbam-restore --limits="-/etc/webmin" your-backup-id
Mark Foster's picture

Very intersting... Liraz, what makes the upgrade of webmin differnt than running apt-get install on other modules? Is it done programmatically?

Thanks,

Mark

Liraz Siri's picture

One is through the package management system (we maintain a Webmin package in the TurnKey repositories), the other is through Webmin's built-in upgrader. The former is supported, the latter screws up the TurnKey-specific configurations/customizations so we tried disabling it but that doesn't seem to have worked.
Mark Foster's picture

Liraz,

I was reading on the following page http://www.turnkeylinux.org/docs/tklbam and ran across the following:

"It is also designed to assist in migration of data and system configurations between different versions of the same type of virtual appliance though for some applications, additional manual steps, such as a database schema update, may be required to complete migration between versions."

Do you have a list or some examples of what manual steps or database shema updates might need to be manually updated?  Or, is there a managed page on your site that has this list?

By the way... I love Turnkey and think yall have an awesome project.

Mark

Liraz Siri's picture

The upgrade process is application specific. You'll need to refer to the application's documentation (e.g., Joomla, Drupal) for details. In general, between minor versions usually you don't need to do much but major version upgrades are often more involved.

It's difficult to keep track on our end of the steps required to upgrade all of the applications in the TurnKey library, especially since new versions are coming out all of the time in which the details vary. It would help if users who go through this chip in and share their experience on the forums or community docs. That way we can gradually build a knowledge base.

Let me give you an example though of what may be involved. If you upgrade to a newer version of Drupal you are usually going to need to update the database schema by logging in as admin as going to the /update.php script. It's usually something like that. Some applications may do the database schema update automatically. Others may require you to run a funny script in a directory somewhere.

PS: glad you are enjoying TurnKey!

Add new comment