Peter Woodall's picture

Created a new EC2 instance with OwnCloud.

The install brings up Version 5.x

Using the manual instructions that Jeremy Posted (Jan 2014) I used the following manual comand to try to upgrade it:

'apt-get install owncloud=7.0.4-x'

Don't recall the last piece but ran 'apt-cache showpkg owncloud' to get the correct string.

The upgrade appeared to proceed correctly from the Shell but after rebooting the instance and browsing to the initial owncloud page I am presented with an upgrade button (no way around it) saying I need to upgrade to 7.0.4

When I click the button it says the upgrade was not successful.

Anyone run into this issue and have any ideas?

Appreciate any ideas.

Peter

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

Firstly to clarify I assume you mean this post.

ANyway, AFAIK you will need to restart the webserver before the changes will be obvious.

IIRC the TurnKey ownCloud appliance uses the Apache webserver so try this:

service apache2 restart

If that still doesn't work then please post (preferably copy/paste) the output of

apt-cache policy owncloud
Peter Woodall's picture

Here is the screen shot:

root@owncloud ~# apt-cache policy owncloud                                                                                                                                                                         

owncloud:                                                                                                                

Installed: 7.0.4-3                                                                                                                           

Candidate: 7.0.4-3                                                      

Package pin: (not found)                                                                                                                             

Version table:                                                   

*** 7.0.4-3 500                                               

500 http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/isv:/ownCloud:/community/Debian_7.0/  Packages         

100 /var/lib/dpkg/status                                                                                                                        

root@owncloud ~

Peter Woodall's picture

After digging around the OwnCloud Forums (finding the correct search term was key) it turns out you cannot upgrade from 5 to 7 directly.

You have to go from 5 > 6 > 7

Which is what I am trying now, will Post success or issues.

Peter

Jeremy Davis's picture

I appreciate that. I was unaware that it was an issue updating from v5.x direct to v7.x. Look forward to hearing how it all goes. Hopefully you can get it all sorted. :)

Phil B's picture

Moving up to OwnCloud 7.0.x is something I've wanted to do as well.  It's a good time of year for that sort of thing :)

Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with Linux - it's a big part of why I like TKL.  But I do like to get some idea of the reason for typing something into a CLI.

I'm very much looking forward to hearing whether it worked and how you did it.

Thanks,

Phil

Jeremy Davis's picture

Any terminal commands should come up in a google search and that should give you tons of info and at least a vague idea of what the intention is. Obviously that won;t always be the case though, especially with scripts that are somewhat obscure or poorly named (e.g. install.sh or setup, etc).

If you get stuck with something specific then you can always ask (the general forums is probably the place for stuff like that.

Peter Woodall's picture

Because I had justed started out with owncloud (few files) and I was getting nowhere with an upgrade (short attention span) I decided to put together an all new owncloud 7.0.4 by doing the following:

1. Downloaded owncloud_7.0.4-3_all.deb to my desktop

2. From the Hub created a new LAMP Stack instance (all this on the EC2).

3. From 'https://www.howtoforge.com/owncloud-7-installation-and-configuration-on-... I used the instructions on how to setup the owncloud MySQL database and user.

4. From WebMin Package Manager I used the 'Install a New Package from uploaded file' option selecting the file I downloaded in step 1

5. It fails because of dependencies

6. From the Web Shell I executed 'apt-get -f install'

7. When prompted 'Keep the local version currently installed'.

8. This will not only address the dependencies but also install owncloud.

9. Go back to WebMin under the Apache Server and change the port 80 and 443 Virtual Servers to point to 'var/www/owncloud'.

10. Stop then Start the Apache Server (from Webmin - top right).

11. The first time you start owncloud use the further instructions at the web site in Step 3 to get owncloud to use MySQL instead of the default SQLite.

I have limited Linux CLI knowledge so this minimized the amount I had to do (and it worked).

Jeremy Davis's picture

Sometimes that's the path of least resistance if you just want to get up and going. FWIW I couldn't help myself (I love the commandline...!) and here are a few comments/pointers for some of your points. Mostly commandline stuff...

1. You can download stuff direct to your server with the wget command. I do it by right-click on the download link in your browser, in your appliance shell window; type wget and paste url (you copied from the web browser). You should end up with something like:

wget http://some-download-url.com/package123.deb

If it is a html link that works awesome, sometimes it's a bit trickier if it's some other sort of link (like a JavaScript one).

3. MySQL commands can also be done via the commandline but as I don't use them much I always have to look it up everytime I do it. So I often use phpMyAdmin (port 12322 in most TKL appliances)...

4. Deb packages can be installed with 'dpkg -i'. In this case it will complain about unmet dependencies but you can force it to install anyway with '--force-depends', like this:

dpkg -i --force-depends package123.deb

5. Dealt with in 4 above.

6. 'apt-get install -f' as you said! :)

7. & 8. Like you said...

9. In the LAMP appliance (and all appliances based on it) all the 'sites' (aka virtual hosts) are in /etc/apache2/sites-available Generally I would recommend making, a new one, editing it then disabling the default, and enabling the new one. You do that something like this:

cd /etc/apache2/sites-available/
cp default owncloud
nano new-site #or your favourite commandline text editor - I use vim

#add owncloud to the end of the directory assignments as you did
#save edited file

a2dissite default
a2ensite owncloud
service apache2 restart

10. covered in 9. above.

11. Like you said! :)

Hope I don't come across as a smart ass, just trying to share some knowledge! :)

Phil B's picture

I really appreciate your help but, unfortunately, I just haven't had the time to be able to get into this.

Robert Fantini's picture

Hello Johnny

how to do so depends on a few things like the version you are using

Can you  start a new topic for this as the subject is different then this thread?  Just click ' Post new Forum topic' 

at http://www.turnkeylinux.org/forum/support .

Add new comment