package : Community version

admin username : admin

admin Password  : admin

base : turnkey LAMP hardy or Turnkey LAMP Lucid

Forum: 
Tags: 

Working on Lucid too

Liraz Siri's picture

SugarCRM rubbed me the wrong way in the past. It seemed to me they were just another closed commercial software vendor trying to jump on the open source bandwagon for marketing reasons.

I didn't like their previous license and I'm glad to see they moved to the AGPL for the 6.0 release. Much better than the fake "open source" evaluation license they were using before. Also previous community versions of SugarCRM were severely restricted. It was demo more than a real product which explains why vtiger (a true open source CRM) was higher on our todo list than SugarCRM.

OTOH, SugarCRM is heavily funded and got a lot of press so more users know about it. It's a popular product. With the latest version Basil integrated into the TKLPatch they've changed tactics and now the community version is lacking the commercial version's UI.

It's hard to be truly open source when you need to make big returns to your VC investors and your open source project competes with your commercial product.

Can anyone with experience with both testify how the community version compared with the commercial version? If you don't mind the user interface, is it usable?

I failed to find a " Download Free  " link in vtiger 's home page . When i searched google i found a sourceforge page of Vtiger [ http://sourceforge.net/projects/vtigercrm/ ] . So i will try to make an appliance from that 

Jeremy Davis's picture

The only cost is for hosted instances, or support. The download links to sourceforge anyway so your plans aren't affected :)

Paul Lukandwa's picture

Hi Mates, I am not a novice but this is my first experience with Turnkey Linux. I have the latest up and running and I can access all the web interfaces through the Internet. I have also the latest SugarCRM 6 Community edition. I have downloaded the sugarcrm.tar.gz file. How do I use the patches in the file, or rather of what significance are they to the TURNKRY LAMP I have running or should I just install SugarCRM according to thei documented instructions. In a nutshell am asking what the use of the sugarcrm.tar.gz is and how I should use it.

Warm Regards

Paul from Africa

Jeremy Davis's picture

Basically its to patch TKL Lucid LAMP ISO (or a running instance but patching the ISO is more reliable, unless you stop all services) so it becomes a SugarCRM appliance. There is quite a bit of info in the wiki about TKLPatch.

Have a read, have a play and let us know how you go.

Jeremy Davis's picture

The TKL devs prefer to avoid the possibility of dissapointment and as such do not state clear timeframes and ETAs. Instead things are ready when they are ready.

Having said that, I know that they are currently working on releasing part 2 of the v11.x appliance lineup which I would imagine will include SugarCRM. Hopefully they'll read your post (they do pretty much read everything - even if they don't always get to it straight away) and push it up the build queue for you :)

Add new comment