vanarie's picture

I'm going to be installing a VPS Ubuntu 8.0.4 with VM on WinServer08 64-bit.

I'm wondering if this current LAMP appliance supports 64-bit, or if I'd have to start from scratch and install from the amd-64 (ubuntu-8.04.2-server-amd64.iso) to get 64-bit support.

Also, would there be much of a speed difference? I don't really have anthing to compare it to, but for the job, 32-bit would probably be just fine. But since I'm on a 64-bit OS, just wondered.

Thanks!

Forum: 
Liraz Siri's picture

We don't yet offer 64-bit versions of our appliances, though that's something we're slating for an upcoming release. Stay tuned.

Meanwhile you can easily run a 32-bit appliance on top of a 64-bit bit host. I do that all the time.

The main benefit of a 64-bit system is easy access to large amounts of RAM (over 4GB) or very large files. This is important for large databases and such. The downside is 64-bit system is usually less memory efficient, because 64-bit pointers take up twice as much space as 32-bit pointers. If you have tons of memory anyhow that probably doesn't really make much of a difference for you.

For most purposes a 32-bit appliance will do just fine. It just won't scale efficiently beyond 4GB RAM.

Add new comment