Joey Gartin's picture

I am getting the following error when I attempt to launch an instance.

Subscription to ProductCode A68DA028 required.

When I go to purchase the AMI again (direct link from the Turnkey Joomla Page - http://www.turnkeylinux.org/joomla), Amazon tells me I have already purchased the use of it and gives me an activation code (which I cannot find anyplace to put it, and only see the page that states I will not need it).  I am sure it is the Joomla AMI, here is the direct copy from Amazon AWS telling me I have already paid for it:

You already have access to this product. 
You may access it at any time. To view or change your TurnKey Joomla AMI for Amazon EC2 subscription, click here

Here is the note from Turnkey page that states I do not need the activation code:

Note: If you came here from the Amazon subscription pipeline, the activation key is not required because just like our other build targets, our Amazon EC2 AMI's are 100% open source with no proprietary restrictions.

I am sure it is the turnkey-joomla AMI:

turnkey-ami-us/turnkey-joomla-2009.10-hardy-x86.ami.man

So what am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Forum: 
Liraz Siri's picture

I just checked and the problem is even worse than we thought. It's not isolated to the TurnKey Joomla EC2 image! I tried launching an instance after subscribing to another image from a test account and I get the same error.

I just sent Amazon a support request about this. Hopefully they'll figure out why the DevPay system went haywire as soon as possible and prevent this sort of thing from happening again.

Sorry you had to go through this.

Liraz Siri's picture

It turns out Amazon doesn't let you create instances for subscriptions that are "pending". That can happen if your payment method isn't authorized, for example, or if your card has been canceled.

By sheer coincidence, my test account also had a bad payment method (an old canceled credit card), so we both got the same error.

The gotcha that Amazon might need to fix is that the DevPay subscription pipeline seems to complete even when it really doesn't. That can easily lead to confusion and frustration. Also I only received an email notification regarding a failed payment the day after my subscription to TurnKey Joomla failed. If the notification had come in immediately it would have been easier to figure out what was happening.

Anyhow, the fix is to go to:

https://www.amazon.com/dp-applications

Update your payment method, cancel your "pending" subscription and then re-subscribe.

Add new comment