Shipu Miah's picture


After a reboot of our server we are unable to boot.

We receive the error below:

1.560195] device—Mapper: uevent version 1.0.3
[ 1.560546] device—Mapper: iocti: 4.22.0—iocti (2H11—le—19) initialised: dM—d
eve l@redhat .COM
Begin: Waiting for root file systeM ... done.
Gave up waiting for root device. COMMOn probleMs:
— Boot args (cat /proc/cMdline)
— Check rootdelay (did the systeM wait long enough?)
— Check root (did the systeri wait for the right device?)
— Missing Modules (cat /proc/Modules; ls /dev)
ALERT? /dev/disk/by—uuid/574707ab—cScS—4006—b290—7446226fdd90 does not exist.
Dropping to a shell?
[ 31.649930] ohci_hcd: USB 1.1 ‘Open’ Host Controller (OHCI) Driver
[ 31.652023] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
[ 31.652921] usbhid: IJSB HID core driver
BusyBox vl.20.2 (Debian 1.20.0—7ubuntu3+turnkey+2+gbel3Oc2) built—in shell (ash)
Enter ‘help’ for a list of built—in coMMands.
(initraMfs) blkid
/dev/sda 1: liii I D”024234 fl—b9ee—44f5—a7de—b06c0296b 17d” TYPE”ext2”
/dev/sda2: UUID=”OGiOFf—DUdR—XZBU—vRpU—hNXJ—HjhC—IaOGNq” TYPEZ”LUM2_MeMber”
/dev/sdb: liii IDt”OMb2uh—ZeGO—DRcZ—1DLO—lxXj—CInB—NtJCQzS” TYPEZ”LUM2...MeMber”

Can anyone help?



Jeremy Davis's picture

I'm assuming that you have made some HDD and/or partition changes (or perhaps you have had some HDD corruption). Whatever has happened it has caused the UUID (Universally Unique IDentifier) of your primary HDD to change so it is no longer found during boot.

IIRC you'll want to boot from a live cd and edit /etc/fstab so it's not looking for the right disk. If you want you can revert to the older system (i.e. sda1; sda2; sdb1; etc) which still works fine. UUIDs are theoretically better (as they don't change when you add/remove disks/usbs etc) but fall over sometimes - like this!

TBH it's been a while since I've done this so I suggest you do a little googling to confirm I'm not leading you astray; but IIRC you'll want to edit /etc/fstab and either change references to /dev/disk/by-uuid/574707ab-c5c5-4886-b289-7446226fdd90 to be /dev/sda (in your case - I can see that from the output you pasted above) or get the new UUID using the 'blkid' command.

Shipu Miah's picture


I managed to fix the issue using Boot-Repair-Disk

I found someone else had posted the same issue and someone recommended this product.

Before I did anything I made a complete VM backup and also did a snapshot of the VM.

Thanks for your response.


Jeremy Davis's picture

But I bet the boot repair disk just did what I said! :)

Add new comment