Hello- I was just wondering if you had an updated ETA for ver 16 for LAMP Stack. Thanks

Jeremy Davis's picture

Hi there. I can assure you that behind the scenes, we've been busy working on this for a few months now and are (hopefully) getting incredibly close to a RC (release candidate) of v16.0 Core.

If you'd asked me a month ago, I would have said that Core 16.0RC would already be released by now (I've been literally saying "should be this week" for over a month). I still feel like we're extremely close, (and much closer than a month ago) but I'm only aware of the issues as I hit them, so unfortunately it's a bit like trying to say how long a piece of string is...

It's been a pretty big job as we've rebased our install and live components back on Debian code (we have been using legacy Ubuntu code for years now). We've also updated most of our software for python3 (at this point it looks like tklbam will be an exception because it's a big project and we don't want to block v16.0 waiting for that). We've also been wrestling a bit with systemd. The newer version of systemd in Buster appears to be much better at running stuff synchronously, which has been a bit of a pain trying to get stuff running the way that it used to previously (it used to be much easier to force boot ordering).

Regardless, I hope to have Core v16.0RC ready ASAP. A stable release, with LAMP and LAPP and a few of the other base appliances should come soon after. I'll be sure to post a blog announcing v16.0RC when it's ready. And any assistance you cna provide testing that would be warmly welcomed! :)

Thanks for the update and appreciate all the work you are putting into these releases.

Jeremy Davis's picture

It's taking MUCH longer than I hoped (or expected) but we're slowly grinding towards a v16.0RC1 release of Core. Hopefully things can start to move a bit faster once we've got that released...

Jeremy Davis's picture

Such a thing does not yet exist. I could give you instructions on how to build it yourself, but TBH, it's a bit of a PITA so I'm not sure that that is the best way to go.

We're getting fairly close (FWIW the current hold up is getting packages published to the TurnKey repo - I can't do that, so we're waiting for Alon to heal up after a recent accident). In the meantime, if you're planning on running as a local VM, I could probably build an ISO and upload it to an S3 bucket for you to start testing? Let me know what you think.

Add new comment