chisel's picture

Hi,

Came across this distro from a Slashdot post by one of your developers - looks cool!

This approach to making focused appliances really appeals to me, I like the thought of not wasting any clock cycles or memory on non-core tasks. Anyway, on to my question:

What I'd really like to see is an appliance to host Java webapps on the Tomcat app server. So the installation would consist of Java (ideally 6), Tomcat (again ideally 6.x) and hopefully MySQL too. This stack (name? LTMJ isn't very catchy) would prove useful to an army of Java devs out there - especially if an old-ish PC with low-ish specs can be brought back into useful service.

Virtual Appliances does a Tomcat appliance but there's no option to run it on "bare metal" and it lacks MySQL.

Any chance of such a Turnkey appliance seeing the light of day?

Forum: 
Liraz Siri's picture

Welcome fellow Slashdotter!

Apache Tomcat appliance is on top of our list for the next round of appliances. We might even squeeze it in before our next batch of releases (coming soon).

I've created a blueprint on Launchpad for this. If you subscribe to it, you'll get notified when we release the beta.

Cheers!

chisel's picture

Thanks Liraz, I've subscribed to the blueprint and look forward to beta-testing. Best of luck with the work!

Add new comment