Adrian Moya's picture

Hi guys, I've just discovered turnkey linux by accident, as I'm looking to work on an Alfresco Appliance. I downloaded the Core Appliance but I'm not sure how to proceed. I have an Alfresco running at my company in a VM I started with JEOS. I had to install a lot of packages to support some features of alfresco. I'm not very experienced with Appliances or Alfresco but I'd like to experiment and maybe contribute with this appliance. The one I did was for a demo and the bosses like it. So I'd like to prepare one for production.

Also there are many RoR apps I'd like to convert to Appliances. Any tip how or where to start?

Forum: 
Liraz Siri's picture

Hi Adrian!

Packaging an appliances as a Live CD is very useful because it allows us to support installations to physical hardware AND a wide selection of virtual machines. OTOH, it can complicate the development process quite a bit so what I suggest is that you develop your appliances by deploying Core to a virtual machine and then do the necessary integration. If possible takes notes while you are doing the integration so we have good records to go by.

When you have a result you are pleased with, you can share the result with us on one of the many free file hosting services and we'll play around with it. If it's good - we'll repackage it as a universal image and add it into the project -- which mean we will periodically rebuild it with updated components.

Adrian Moya's picture

Well I'll be taking notes about the packages I install and I'll be glad to share them with the community. I'll keep in touch.
Liraz Siri's picture

That's awesome. If you have any questions or need any help, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers!

Adrian Moya's picture

I can't believe it was more than a year that I planned to do this. But I wasn't so Linux/Alfresco proficient back then. I've gained some skills in the way. 

Ken Jameson's picture

I've been attempting to get a working Alfresco machine for some time ...

Nothing I try seems to work ..

Any help you could give me would be appreciated.

My machine is a physical machine ... for now!

Thanks in advance ...

Regards,

Ken Jameson

kmj@kmjameson.com

Add new comment