Nathan's picture

Just wondering because of the size of the iso.

Also, are Turnkey releases only based on the latest LTS version of Ubuntu?

If so, does that mean sometime after April Turnkey will be updating all their VMs to LucidLynx?

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

TKL is loosely based on Ubuntu Server 8.04.3 (so not quite latest version of LTS) the next release will follow after 10.04 LTS final is available.

Whilst TKL is based on Ubuntu Server it is pared back a bit and is pretty minimal. Each appliance has pretty much just what it needs, but there is some added functionality too, like ssh, sftp, Webmin, shellinabox, etc all available by default. There are some other differences too, for example it can run live from a CD or ISO (if in a VM) unlike standard Ubuntu Server. It also uses the standard desktop kernel rather than the server one (more stable in a range of VM environments).

TKL Core is the base for all appliances (and is a great Dev environment in its own right if you want to build your own). The appliance page gives a pretty good rundown.

Have fun!

Nathan's picture

Couple more random questions:

1. Is this the theme you are using for webmin?

If you hover over the download link for Core it says "VMDK image with OVF, VMX, linux-virtual kernel and VMWare tools".

2. Can you give a little more detail about these items (why they were included/what they do)?

3. Why did you choose not to use JeOS? Reading the pages on Ubuntu's site they say it is tuned for running as a virtual machine.

Thanks.

Jimmy O'regan's picture

I've been exploring TurnKey under the hood for a while and I've also compared it with Ubuntu JeOS so I think I can help answer a few of your questions.

1. Yes, TurnKey uses the stressfree theme for Webmin.

2. OVF and VMX are configuration files that help you setup your VM in various virtualization platforms such as VMWare and VirtualBox. The linux-virtual kernel is an Ubuntu kernel that's optimized for virtualization. This is the kernel that Ubuntu JeOS uses too. VMWare-tools helps integrate the VM with VMWare for improved performance and such.

3. Since TurnKey's VM build uses the same kernel as Ubuntu JeOS they're pretty much equivalent in terms of how well they're tuned for running as a virtual machine. But TurnKey Core packs more of a punch even though it's about the same size as Ubuntu JeOS. If you want a truly barebones system take a look at TurnKey Bootstrap. At 67MB it's the smallest Ubuntu-based system out there.

Add new comment