Jeff Hales's picture

I've been all over the place today, so can't retrace my steps, but recall seeing some of the problems with converting the configuration console to upstart mentioned. I don't now if this issue has been solved yet, but stumbled upon this bit of info in the Lucid Lynx release notes that I thought might be relevant if it hasn't. I don't understand the basis of the problem enough to be of any real help, but every bit I can do while learning...

It basicly sounds like the problem is getting processes within a chroot to communicate with upstart, which is outside of the chroot. The bit of info at the referenced page seems to give a work-around. They suggested using commands something like this within the chroot:

dpkg-divert --local --rename --add /sbin/initctl
ln -s /bin/true /sbin/initctl
Now, if you'll excuse me, I think my socks are on backwards. :p
Forum: 
Alon Swartz's picture

I think you're referring to the issue we had with TKLPatch on the new 11.0RC builds, mainly with MySQL as its init script was converted to use upstart. We've since solved the issue, but thanks!

Socks on backwards - LOL...

Jeff Hales's picture

When I stumbled upon that info, I was thinking (with my extremely limited education on the matter) that the config console itself could/should be converted to work as an upstart job in order to place it correctly within the start-up sequence. I was trying to find out how to make it access the network after there is a network connection to access. It kind of jumps the gun right now when installing in a VM. I don't know if this has been solved already for an upcoming release.

On the bright side, it appears the result of my research was peripherally spot on (is that even possible?), and only belated by 5 or 6 months. I'm getting warmer! :p

It made me think about it.
It made me.
Think about it.

Alon Swartz's picture

We are putting off conversion to upstart for as long as possible, so the same package source can be used in Debian builds. At least until (read as if) Debian move to using upstart.

The configuration console is started as late as possible in system initialization. There isn't much point in starting it earlier. If you've had issues with the confconsole please report them. The more info you can provide the better.

Add new comment