While updating my installation of Virtualbox this weekend I stumbled on a post in their forums mentioning Turnkey and its appliances.
So I had a look and decided to try out the Wordpress appliance and I must say, I'm very impressed by how easy it is to have a running web server with Wordpress setup and ready. My prevous attempt, starting from a Ubuntu iso and installing everything manually, had me spend a whole weekend to have everything right. And that's without setting up the extra packages and custumisation you've included in the appliances!
what I really like:
- inclusion of packages that help with system maintenance (backup, auto-update, webmin, etc)
- the command line power tools (Although I'd like to know more about what has been customized and how it can be used)
what I like but I'd like to see improved:
- Initialization hooks. I like being able to setup my own password and not be imposed one by default (a lot better security-wise). I would like to be able to also choose the username for the different accounts and also the hostname of the machine. Is it something possible with the hook system ?
- The appliances' description and their package manifest. The packages addition and the customizations are well listed but again I'd like to see more documentation on the why and the how of some custumizations.
what I don't like
- using the root account and the removal of sudo. I really don't think it's a good idea to have the root account activated by default. It goes against the security recomendations found all over the web (and the many howtos using sudo). I know it's possible to install back sudo and deactivate the root account but I'd like to know the rationale behind this choice. If it's only a convenience issue then I think it should be back to having sudo by default. Priority should be given to security over convenience.
Now for my questions,
I've been looking into a solution for my web development and hosting needs for a long time now and it seems like the Turnkey + AWS combo is a very nice fit.
I saw on the AWS site that they currently offer a free one year plan to new suscribers. Does it mean the Turnkey Hub services will also be free for the same period ?
My last question is more about AWS but I couldn't find any info on the subject so maybe someone here can help me out. Right now I only need webhosting for 2 or 3 simple personal blogs. Is going with AWS overkill ? What are the basic AWS components that I need (the free offering includes components that seem superfluous) ?
Ok I'll stop here for now and will wait for an answer.
Meanwhile, thank you again for the great appliances. I'm sure I'll be using many of them in the future.