rdmelin's picture
Here is a patch to lapp for openerp 6.0.3. Configuration follows the guide at http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2011/04/19/how-to-install-openerp-6-on-u... and http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2011/04/21/how-to-install-openerp-6-on-u... Web access uses ssl with TKL's self signed cert at https://appliance-ip-address First access to the web client gives an error, just reload the page a time or two. Using the GTK client you will need to use port 8071 and choose the XMLRPC (Secure) protocol. System user = openerp Pgsql user=openerp with password=openerp
Forum: 
Liraz Siri's picture

Thanks for taking the time to put this together. We're planning on adding OpenERP officially to the library with the next TurnKey release.
Jeremy Davis's picture

So it will be released when it's ready. When it is released it will be available as an EC2 appliance (AMI) as well as the other formats.

In the meantime you can use this patch to create an OpenERP server. As you can also apply patches directly to installed appliances you could create an EC2 instance (by patching an EC2 LAPP appliance). I would advise stopping all services prior to applying the patch though to reduce the chances of the patch applying trouble free (it should work fine to patch an ISO).

rdmelin's picture

Hi G0rg,

The patch is used with TKLPatch to create a new appliance iso starting with the current lapp appliance iso. It cannot be used to upgrade any existing installation. Upgrading would be an advanced exercise and depend very much on how the existing installation is set up. you may be able to get expert (probably paid) assistance from openerpappliance.com or openerp.com.

In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're different.

L. Arnold's picture

OPENERP is pretty committed to facilitating upgrades.  Search their sites a bit for how to move from 6.02 to 6.03.

The OpenERP Appliance is pretty cool.  You would need to use it as a foundation for TKLBAM Restores.  Probably worth some practice BEFORE you actually upgrade OPENERP.  You don't want to be caught offguard.

I am very interested in how to connect Magento to OpenErp or VTiger.  Any thoughts out there?

L. Arnold's picture

What is the prognosis on TKLBAM supporting Postgres Databases as it does MySQL?  OpenERP is built on this.

Jeremy Davis's picture

Hopefully so, but in the meantime you can bash together a workaround using the TKLBAM hooks if you're keen. Liraz made a recent blog post about this and there is more info in the comments.

L. Arnold's picture

Will explore myself next, and probably just a fear of getting stranded. I will see if I can get it to take with 11.3 LAPP...  Need to refresh my memory on how to apply a patch...

If this is pulling A Bazaar Branch I want to see if I can't "add" the magentoconnect branch..  Then I can shut up on this subject.

L. Arnold's picture

I am wanting to build a Patch File and I can't seem to find directions as to "where" to upload the ISO and Patch Files too.   Is there a TKLPatch working directory?  Is it a Root Directory?

I am going to try /home/ which seems empty from here.  (thought it was /etc/home/ but apparently not)

Is there a better place?

Anyway, proceeding now.  What defines the new ISO name in the patch process?.. ( I see it goes along side the original with "patched" on the name"...

Also pretty remarkable that a Sourceforge ISO Download is faster for me than a WebMin download from a small LAPP appliance between VM's.  SF is running about 460 KB while Webmin is a Slow feeling 360 kb.

....  It seems LAPP and Postgre appliance are different (duh)..  trying again...  No effective result w/ Postgre appliance....  (this time Source Forge is downloading LAPP at 180 to 200 KB/S so so much for that)

L. Arnold's picture

Applied the patch to LAPP 11.3 but no seeming change, at least on the Apache Side.  Probably need to try 11.2 as instructed (not 11.3)

The ISO Grew by about 8 mb...  I will look for what was actually installed, even if it didn't hit the Apache Config.  I don't see much new in the VAR/WWW folder...

I need to doublecheck that I didn't download the original LAPP ISO, instead of the Patched ISO which I should have done.  It is very difficult to "read" patched on these long file names...  HINT, watch the date and time...  More news may follow.

...  Looking back to the Patching Home Folder, the Patched and the Original ISO's actually have the same size.  Is it tantamount that this process take place on the SERVER type that is also being Patched?  As I noted earlier, I first installed Postgre Appliance, added TKLPATCH..  finally started to Patch LAPP 11.3 to the OPENERP Patch...  I will double check all this, but as this does take some time.  I will come back to it tommorrow.  Argh.  Thought I would be working on modifications already.

Jeremy Davis's picture

Been busy and I'm in a bit of a rush. But it sounds like you're having trouble patching, so thought I'd try to give you a quick hand...

Best thing to do is install TKL Core in a VM and use that for patching. Install TKLPatch, and have your patch and your ISO in the the /root directory (root's home). Then 'tklpatch file.iso patch.tar.gz'. If the ISO is still the same size after patching then untar the patch and check that the conf file is executable (common mistake, done it plenty of times myself).

PS I'd use v11.3 ISO, it shouldn't make any difference though (between 11.2 and 11.3)

L. Arnold's picture

What is the numeric Mod for "executable?"..  Different User too?

Jeremy Davis's picture

Extract the patch

tar xvfz filename.tar.gz

then cd into the folder

cd foldername

add the executable bit

chmod +x conf

then cd back out and run the patch again

cd ..
tklpatch appliance.iso patch-foldername

(note no tar.gz at the end)

But as I said I'm only guessing that's the problem, it may not be...

L. Arnold's picture

The original Patch had User -- 1000 and Group -- SSLcert on it.  I changed that to Root Root

Issued your executable command (chmod +x conf)

It also had one too many folder Nests it seems  -- that plus I kept trying to ReTar and ReZip..

So I fixed Conf, and made sure I just had Conf in the PATCH folder right above the ISO.

tklpatch ....isoname.iso  patch

Seems to have started the process...  which I expect will take a while now as lots of new Packages are involved.

If I can get this to finish well, I will see if I can't also insert the MagentoConnect Branches.

L. Arnold's picture

TKLPatch on 11.2 gives me a new ISO of the same size

TKLPatch on 11.3 gives me a new ISO of the same size.

This time ran from LAPP 11.2 VM.  Not from Core as I had already started when Core was recomended.

One Error running the 11.2 Patch that did not appear on 11.2:

create_inode: socket...iso name and fs header......postgresql.5432 ignored.

I could do an install but I am expecting I should try to actually just Patch the install.  I will try that next after I do Snapshot.

L. Arnold's picture

I would expect the Patch to go out and download the OpenERP Code, make a folder or two, likely create a database.

I gave one stab at an install to VM (11.2 version)..  Something is missing somewhere.  The Patch process keeps thinking all is going well.  (On VM create there is no OpenERP password setup which I am quite sure I saw happening within the Patch... as this is 11.2 Lapp the Security updates are taking a while to finish - Normal LAPP it is again)

The Patch, when locally extracted itself is quite extenstive.  I appreciate the work that Rdmelin has put into it. 

When is the Full TKL OpenERP Ap coming?  Any way to get it here ASAP as we have a new year beginning and December is always the BEST time to ramp up for using a new Accounting System starting Jan 1.  (Please Pretty Please, even Beta?)

Jeremy Davis's picture

And the v12.x release will be based on Ubuntu 12.04 (not 10.04 as it is now) so v12.x beta will possibly be based on Ubuntu 12.04 beta. Definately not a good candidate for installation in a production environment! That'd be just asking for trouble IMO.

So I very much doubt this will be released as a usable appliance that you could even hope to rely on before late April 2012 (possibly later).

As for your patching, I still think patching the LAPP ISO from within a clean Core install is your best bet. Try making the conf file executable (which as I said above, may or may not be the issue).

If you're still having issues, you could read the TKLPatch docs and do it all manually step by step and try to see what is going on. That would go like this:

1. Extact the ISO
  2. Copy across overlay (contents of overlay folder into the rootfs of your extracted ISO).
  3. Copy conf into /root (of the extracted ISO rootfs)
  4. chroot in (tklpatch-chroot).
  5. run conf (./conf)
  6. exit chroot
  7. generate the new ISO (tklpatch-geniso IIRC)
  8. Copy out the ISO (using Filezilla or whatever)
  9. Test in a VM
L. Arnold's picture

A few notes for use:

After you create your VM and go to the URL you will end up at the Default Lapp index.php.  It would be good to update that URL with a button Link to proceed to the Web Client which, it seems is "without" ssl just now (Rdmelin indicates you can get SSL to work after a few tries, so I will keep trying).

yourdomain.com:8080  Gets you to the default Login.

No Databases seem to be populated so proceed to the Database Creation Button:

Give the Database a name  (use the default SuperAdmin PW which I believe is the short version)

If you want to go live UNCHECK add sample Data.

Give the Database a Admin password

If you go with Sample Data I would just give admin the PW admin

You will get a Demo user and Demo Password.

You can Drop Databases right there as long as you input the SuperAdmin Password.

Once you are up and running, Do a Config, first Simple, then Advanced.

Once you are in Advanced, under Admin, there are Modules you can import.

The Trick with Modules is that you have to first "import" then you have to "Apply Updates".

Where I need Help:

I have not yet figured out how to "import as a Zip File" Modules that come OpenERP branches (or separate branches) from the BZR (Launchpad.net) that are normally exported as tar.gz files.  (MagentoERPConnect to be specific)

I do believe however that I may be able to update the Patch to auto import these into a new ISO, or to use "similar" commands to those in the Patch CONF file to import them via SSH (or Webshell in my case) so that I can get this relateively powerful Module added to OpenERP.

L. Arnold's picture

Ran, as Jermy recomended, on Turnkey Core 11.3, and installed the Patch to TKL LAPP 11.3.

Jeremy, your help is much much appreciated!

additional info: One last confirmation.  I did run this on Core, but just did a "rerun on Core" to see if my orignal problem was simply that I was trying to patch on the LAPP Platform rather than CORE Platform.    Running tKLPATCH on TKL Core against the original tar.gz  patch file and again, I just arrived with a duplicate of the LAMP Iso, patched name, but no patch applied.  The Patch File needs to be extracted at the least, and likely needs to have the few quick modifications applied that Jeremy helped with (reset ownershp and make executable).  The recomendation from TKL is to run TKLPatch on a Core VM.  The only time I can see not doing this is trying an "in situ" Patch, which again TKL recomend's against, yet do provide the facilty for.

Add new comment