L. Arnold's picture

I want to throw out the line as to what folks are doing with Security and Optimization on MySQL and TKL sites in general.  I have had a few sites get really hammered by spiders and bots and I'm not really sure the path on how to button the system up.

Some of the details I have found to be setting "log file expirations"..  If you take a year of Logs and keep them in your SQL setup it can be very very large.

At the same time, there are also "repetitive" inputs.  I have seen 1100 searches on the same arcane term in one of our systems.  How to block things like this?

I have also had a difficult time running TKLBAM restores because the max_allowed_packet gets too large.  I think there have been other problems in that arena as well.

Do folks have general thoughts on what can be buttoned up in the systems?  I have a my.cnf file that made Magento run quite abit better, but that is a small element.

Ping Pong time.  Thanks for any thoughts here..

Forum: 
will craig's picture

Hi mate

I saw you posted lots on magento, 

do you have any tips of optimising TKL Lamp for magneto, i found a few tuts on magentocomerce.com

but was wondering if you found any TKL items i should know about 

thanks in adanvce, nice thread , hopefully many get involved with this one 

L. Arnold's picture

If you go to Yireo.com there is a modification of what I think is the Joomla Package that also has a Magento Package installed upon it so they can work together.  To make full use of this package however you need to get a license for the MageBridge Components, and also give real DOMAIN names to your install.  That said, you can browse the code in WebMin without that.

http://www.yireo.com/blog/1366-turnkey-linux-appliance-for-magebridge

You need to load that up in VirtualBox (I can't find a way to load it into VMware ESXI) but no matter.  The main point of optimization I have discovered so far is the my.cnf file for MySQL.  Seemed to really help Magento though to be honest, I am still not happy with how my Magento is completely running.  There are likely other optimizations there but I have not had time to really study much.  Curious what other folks might fine.

I would try a TKLBAM to migrate this install over to VMware, but it is not loaded from the base Joomla or Magento.  On a VirtualBox install it is probably OK the way it is.

Some of the bigger Issues I can see in the whole system would be "automodification" of certain settings based upon the available RAM that is given to the Machine in general.  A lot of times the given settings are assuming small Ram Allocations like 256mb when often a Machine can be given 1024 or 2048mb..  Doing so does not effect much of how PHP and MySQL operate until specific settings are also changed in the machines themselves (which is somewhat arduous and delicate at the same time).

Upgrade and Backup mechanisms (as you may have read on my posts) are often much more difficult than they should be, and I put this both on the default TKL install,  Difficulties and changes in Magento, Log Bloat in Magento, and certain difficulties in TKLBAM.  All of these need to be looked at.

I do recomend actively using "Snapshots" before you do any sort of upgrading or restores in Magento/TKL as it is a lot easier to restore a snapshot than about anything else.

Curious what other folks find. 

will craig's picture

thanks mate i will check this out

one other thing, in my magento var error logs , i seem to be getting the same error all the time

a:5:{i:0;s:109:"SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (111)";i:1;s:1341:"#0 

its like the myql dropps off, did you have issues like this too 

cheers

will 

L. Arnold's picture

This is my Repetative Error in the Logs File, but it has not updated for a while..  We will see if it returns.

2011-10-22T03:38:26+00:00 ERR (3): Warning: include(Mage/Core/Model/Mysql4/Helper/Mysql4.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory  in /var/www/mojito/lib/Varien/Autoload.php on line 93

2011-10-22T03:38:26+00:00 ERR (3): Warning: include(): Failed opening 'Mage/Core/Model/Mysql4/Helper/Mysql4.php' for inclusion (include_path='/var/www/mojito/app/code/local:/var/www/mojito/app/code/community:/var/www/mojito/app/code/core:/var/www/mojito/lib:.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear')  in /var/www/mojito/lib/Varien/Autoload.php on line 93

(mojito is my renamed folder path)

I did just look at my "system info" in Magento which is quite a report.  3 Things i want to work on:

More PHP.ini Memory

More Apache Memory (if that is separate)

More XCache Memory..  and I would love to find a way to toggle between XCache and APC Cache.. but I recall trying that and not getting very far.

Add new comment