Mike Jones's picture

Hello all,

Thanks to some help from searching this forum and another awesome page (http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/marvell-88w8335-chipset-netgear-wg311-pcicard-driver/), I've got wifi up and running on my TKL Drupal 6 box. However, one small problem remains, and this is when I reboot I get an error in the TKL console  - Networking is not yet Configured. I can then use the console to initiate the network auto configuration and everything is good to go after that - I can access the installation remotely.

I'm now at the point where I need to take this machine off-site, so I need it to do the automatic network configuration, well, automatically. 

Any suggestions?

Computer is Dell Dimension 4450/Intel P4. Wireless card is Netgear WG311 Marvell 88w8335 Rev 03. TKL Drupal 6 d/l yesteday from turnkeylinux.org.

Thanks,

Mike Jones

Forum: 
Tags: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

I think if you configure confconsole to config the wifi interface all should be good. By default it configures eth0 but being wireless yours is probably something more like wlan0 or similar.

I don't recall where the conf file for confconsole is, but the TKL guys being the good Debian/Ubuntu guys they are that like to play by the rules, my first guess would be somewhere like /etc/confconsole/

Let me know how you go, and if that's not it, I'll have a dig...

Mike Jones's picture

Thanks for the reply. I'll check into it and report back!

Mike

Jeremy Davis's picture

And the conf file is /etc/confconsole/confconsole.conf

You will need to uncomment the default nic line and replace eth0 with the relevant interface name. Ie change it from:

# set default network interface
#default_nic eth0

to something like (replace wlan0 with the actual name of the interface):

# set default network interface
default_nic wlan0

Mike Jones's picture

Well, I'm ashamed to admit I wimped out and connected it via CAT-5 to an Apple Airport Express I had configured to extend the client's wireless network so I could get it deployed today, but I'm definitely going to try your solution, if for no other reason that I think others may find it helpful. Plus I want my Airport back - it's a handy little device that's saved my bacon more than once.

I'll let you know what I find out. 

Thanks again!

Mike Jones

Jeremy Davis's picture

Especially considering I'm not 100% certain, and even moreso if you had a client looking over your shoulder. Nothing worse than showing something off to someone and it doesn't work and you need to spend time mucking around. Not a good look at all!

But it would be great to hear how you go. Perhaps my thoughts are wrong...?

Mike Jones's picture

I'm hoping to try out your solution today if an opportunity presents itself. This is definitely one of those skills I'd like to have in my toolkit if the need ever comes up again.

And you are so right about having to scramble to find a solution when on the client's time. Even if I never figure it out and have to forfeit the Airport to the cause, that beats hours of unproductivity. Time = $$ in this business.

Mike

Add new comment