vuser1's picture

I want to skip "partitioning" installation step. Let install format entire drive to ext4+swap, no LVM, just confirmation "Do you want to reformat /dev/sda?". In case of hard-fail pure ext4 is more repairable than LVM. AFAILK, TKLBAM works w/o LVM, so I still can use it. I played with di-live, trying to preseed answers, but no success. Can you point me in right direction?

Forum: 
Tags: 
Liraz Siri's picture

You can extract the filesystem from an ISO using the tklpatch-extract-iso command then dump it to wherever you like. I've used that trick to get TurnKey installed remotely when I didn't have physical access to a machine, only another Linux distributions...

vuser1's picture

Hmm... I can't see how extracted ISO helps me.

I *need* installer - appliance will go to bare metal. It should format HDD, install GRUB etc.

Jeremy Davis's picture

Just manually partition and format (I used fdisk from the TurnKey CD running live), then dumpped the ISO contents onto the new root partition. I then installed grub (from the live CD again) and reboot. Worked a treat. Sorry I don't recall exact details but it worked way easier than I expected it to...

Obviously it'd be much better if the ISO just worked how it was meant to, but this method worked ok as a next best thing...

vuser1's picture

Jeremy, I sent email to Liraz, you was in CC. It describes the problem better. Perhaps you did not recevie it. Here it is. Please answer. "NO" is totally understandable.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 8:45 PM
To: 'Liraz Siri'
Cc: 'Jeremy Davis'; 'Alon Swartz'
Subject: Customized TKLDev

Hi Liraz!

We use TKLDev for building appliance of our server. It is commercial product. We are interested in appliance setup with specific requirements:

- quiet setup - ideally ask only one question - "Do you want to reformat HDD?"

- hide TurnkeyLinux boot logo (reason is: not show potential hackers which OS we use, not important requirement)

We are thinking about commercial help from your side. Is it possible?

Jeremy Davis's picture

Short answer: Theoretically it is possible. However currently we can't help you with your project sorry (way too much to do and way too little time in the day). I can't even give you any guidance as I don't recall enough about tweaking the installer.

Long answer via email.

Add new comment