Stig's picture

Hi,

I have been using the Magento stack for about a year now and I am very pleased so far.

Now I am trying to move from magento 1.9 to magento 2.0. I installed the latest Magento version from you and replaced the files with Magento 2.0 files from magento.com. I only had to install some php extensions in order to pass the validation test (Magento test), that was easy, but I was unable to upgrade MYSQL to 5.6. I believe that was the only thing stopping me from getting it up and running. Do you plan on releasing a Magento 2.0 version? If not, do you know if it is possible to upgrade MYSQL in the stack to v5.6? If so, how can it be done? 

Best regards, Stig

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

Unfortunately there isn't a really nice way to provide MySQL 5.6 in TurnKey 14.x. Debian Jessie (what v14 is based on) only has 5.5 (as you've obviously noticed).

Seeing as it's not available through the normal channel that leaves us with quite a few options. We could install from the newer Debian version (Stretch; which is still in development) or from a 3rd party such as dotdeb. However, I think the best option might actually be to install from MySQL themselves.

Have a look here. Keep in mind that you will no longer get auto security updates for MySQL (so will need to manually check for updates and install them when they become available).

Also my brief reading suggests that whilst MySQL 5.6 provides some significant performance benefits, that comes at the price of being much more resource hungry. 1GB is the recommended minimum RAM for servers running MySQL 5.6.

Stig's picture

Thank you for your reply. I was able to find a solution.

I typed this into Putty:

sudo service mysql stop
sudo apt-get remove mysql-server mysql-client mysql-common 
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get autoclean 

Add the Repo:
wget http://repo.mysql.com/mysql-apt-config_0.2.1-1debian7_all.deb

dpkg -i mysql-apt-config_0.2.1-1debian7_all.deb

Install mysql 5.6:
apt-get update

Then I logged in to Webmin and accessed - Servers -  MySQL Database Server. From there I could install the new version.

I was able to get Magento 2.0 up and running. I don't know how stable this will be. I will use it to build the updated webshop. Hopefully it won't take long until we have a Magento 2.0 Image version that can be launched from TurnkeyLinux Hub or AWS market place. 

Jeremy Davis's picture

As v2.0+ depends on a newer version of MySQL than Debian provides we are not really keen to build an appliance with a newer version than the latest v1.9 release.

Without a Debian supported version of MySQL (with well tested security patches backported) we are not confident that it would be as reliable or secure as we like to provide.

However, you could certainly follow the instructions noted above to install a newer version of MySQL from upstream and then install the newer version of Magento yourself.

It will probably work fine, we're just not willing to take the risk ourselves at this point in time.

Thanks for your input though as we are always reassessing these decisions.

Once Debian Stretch is released (should be sometime towards the end of Q1 2017) then we will be able to build a 2.x Magento appliance for sure.

Add new comment