Witzker's picture

Hi

just to ask if your Nextcloud Image 

https://www.turnkeylinux.org/nextcloud

is up-to-date withe version 23

https://nextcloud.com/install/#instructions-server

before installing?

Pls. Advice what to take for installation on Proxmox?

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

No unfortuately it's not. As noted on the Nextcloud appliance page, the most recent release is v16.1 and if you click the "changelog" link, you can see that (at the time of writing) the most recent appliance release only includes NC 21.

We are currently working on a major TurnKey version update (v17.0 - based on Debian Bullseye) so it's highly unlikely there will be an updated v16.x release until then (which will have the latest stable NC version at the time of build).

However, updating NC should be pretty straight forward. Personally, I prefer CLI update but do whatever is most comfortable for you. Please note that by default TurnKey doesn't have sudo installed, so either install it:

apt update && apt install sudo -y

Or use 'su' (or 'runuser') instead. su/runuser usage is a little more clunky than sudo, but it gets the job done. To use su/runuser, swap 'sudo -u www-data COMMAND' for 'su - www-data -s /bin/bash -c "COMMAND"' (runuser is exactly the same format, so just swap 'su' for 'runuser'). E.g. the command to do the update would be:

su - www-data -s /bin/bash -c "php --define apc.enable_cli=1 /var/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar"

It won't be relevant to the initial update, but FWIW, we include a convenience wrapper script (turnkey-occ) for the 'occ' commandline tool (owncloud cli tool, that is bundled with Nextcloud) for any commandline requirements. That most likely won't be relevant for the upgrade, but might be useful? So instead of running occ like this:

su - www-data -s /bin/bash -c "php occ COMMAND"

You can instead just run:

turnkey-occ COMMAND

We probably should consider a wrapper for the updater tool too!?

I hope that helps. Please let know how you go.

badco's picture

Definitely a wrapper for the update tool would be good!

Shall I create an issue on the issue tracker?

Jeremy Davis's picture

Yes please, do open an issue. That'd be great!

It should be fairly easy to implement, so hopefully we should get to it for v17.0.

badco's picture

Pls. Advice what to take for installation on Proxmox?

Hi Witzker, I thought I would comment on this and let you know how I did Nextcloud on Proxmox.

Personally I installed Nextcloud as a LXC, which you can download through the Proxmox WebUI by going to:

The left 'Server View' pane and down to your template/ISO storage, then to CT Templates, then click Templates. In the search box type 'Nextcloud', then select and download the CT.

Now to create the CT, in the Proxmox WebUI, top right, select 'Create CT'

General:
Choose a CT ID, Hostname, Password, SSH key (optional)

Template:
Choose the storage you downloaded the template too, and select the template.

Disks:
Choose storage location and size. My default is 4GB, it is easy to expand but harder to shrink, so I tend to start small.

CPU:
Choose how many cores, this depends on your use case, number of users etc. Maybe refer to Nextcloud documentation.

Memory:
Choose how much memory, this depends on your use case, number of users etc. Maybe refer to Nextcloud documentation.

Network:
I am using a virtual bridge with VLAN tag and static IP address. Choose what suits your infrastructure.

DNS:
You may need to define DNS as your gateway if the container is on a different subnet to your host.

Confirm:
Review your selection, and tick the box 'Start after Created' and Finish, all done!

Once you have completed the next cloud setup, follow Jeremys instructions for updating.

Also, here is my Nextcloud LXC config for reference. This works fine for two users. Disk usage (excluding external NFS mount) is 15.8%, memory 10.5%, CPU at idle is 0.5%. To be fair I think I could reduce this too 2 cores and 2048mb of memory, but Nextcloud performance is disappointing.

root@hard1 ~# cat /etc/pve/lxc/103.conf  
arch: amd64
cores: 4
hostname: nextcloud
memory: 4096
mp0: /mnt/pve/nfs-nextcloud,mp=/var/www/data
nameserver: 10.10.11.1
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr2,firewall=1,gw=10.10.11.1,hwaddr=DE:3D:FC:AC:ED:7E,ip=10.10.11.103/24,tag=11,type=veth
onboot: 1
ostype: debian
rootfs: p1ssd:subvol-103-disk-0,acl=1,size=8G
searchdomain: 10.10.11.1
swap: 4096
unprivileged: 1
lxc.idmap: u 0 100000 33
lxc.idmap: g 0 100000 33
lxc.idmap: u 33 1005 1
lxc.idmap: g 33 1005 1
lxc.idmap: u 34 100034 64530
lxc.idmap: g 34 100034 64530