Ken Irwin's picture

Configuration Management and Orchestration:

• Chef
  • Puppet
  • SaltStack
  • TerraForm

Monitoring and Performance:

• Zabbix (Zabbix actually has an Ubuntu based Appliance, but um, frankly it kinda sucks)
  • Zenoss Core
  • Cacti
  • Nagios

Multi node TKLs:

• OpenStack
  • Hadoop

Also I think there would be interest in a couple that might need to be dynamically configured on boot due to potential licensing restrictions:

• Oracle Express Edition or Oracle 11g

Would probably need to link to Oracle downloader, and license agreement but is free to use for development and testing

• HomeSeer

While this product is ultimately a paid license product, the solution is kind of half baked in that it is distributed as an application, but really requires more of an OS wrapper around it. It's an ASP.net application and the mono TKL can probably function as that wrapper and add to it the service and systemctl aspects missing in their directions to make it just function. 

Anyway everything on this list are applications that are either somewhat painful to get working initially, or are useful for side by side product evaluations where a configuration learning curve before even getting to actually evaluating the application can make it impractical to even do evaluations in the first place.

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

I'm really hoping that we'll get to making some more appliances soon. We also hope to make the appliance creation process easier and more accessible.

Ken, your last couple (Oracle and HomeSeer) probably won't happen any time soon. For now at least, we are firmly set on only using open source software. Partially that is pragmatic but partially it's idealistic. We haven't completely slammed the door on the possibility of offering proprietary appliances though. So who knows what the future may hold...

Our current build tools aren't super newb friendly, but anyone with basic Linux commandline experience and a bit of patience should be able to make at least a fairly simple appliance.

If anyone wants to have a go at one of these appliance suggestions (or something else), I'm more than happy to provide feedback and guidance.

Ron Ackerman's picture

Have you looked into setting up a Point of Sales system for Turnkey? I am looking at the open source system for Linux UniCenta. Or maybe you know of a good one?  https://unicenta.com/

Jeremy Davis's picture

Thanks for adding your suggestion!

TBH, it's not even something we've considered, but it would be really cool.

I just spent a few moments looking through the docs and it seems that it requires a GUI. So to do this, we'd need to install a full desktop, something that we haven't done before with TurnKey appliances. That doesn't mean it's not a good idea, but it might take a bit more development that usual.

If you or someone else wants to have a stab at it, we do have some desktop stuff available in our build infrastructure, but it will require a bit more testing to ensure that everything works as it should.

Add new comment