Forum: 

Upgrades to my Server

Imo's picture

It's been a while since I discussed my server. Well, I have upgraded. And still, I use vintage- Dual CPU PIII running Turnkey Core Debian Jessie. So far so good. Added a GB Lan card to it as well. Now, thanks to Webmin, I can access it from anywhere in the world. So Cool! Infact, I show it off to my clients on how such a powerful system can run on vintage hardware. I love it when their laughter turns into shock - oh so priceless!

So far, my clients enjoy it. Infact, I prefare it to FreeNAS. FreeNAS is great but requires a lot. Sometimes, a little is required.

Keep up the great work!

Jeremy Davis's picture

Thanks for your kind words. Great to hear from you and fantastic to hear that TurnKey is still 'serving' you well (see what I did there eh?!).

It is incredible how much you can squeeze out of hardware when you don't need to provide a full blown GUI/desktop. I mean Linux is generally much smoother on old hardware at the best of times, but running headless, makes it all so much better!

FWIW, last year, I upgraded my home hypervisor (running ProxmoxVE, with TurnKey running as VMs and containers). It's now running on an Intel Atom processor (@2.4GB) and it flies! Prior to that, I had been using a 7 year old desktop system (1st gen Core2Duo) and it was fine, but I had maxed out the RAM (8GB) and that was my bottleneck. The new server has similar clockspeed to the old, but uses much less power and has 8 cores (instead of 2 hyperthreaded). The 32GB RAM gives me tons of headroom! :)

Post new comment