Maximus22's picture

Hi,

I am looking for someone who is familiar with vservern and can tell me if I can implement what I have before. The vserver has 50GB 1vcore 2 GBs of RAM and his own ip address and runs with Linux and Plesk on a Ubuntu 16.04 operating system.

I would like to use it to run 2 Wordpress blogs and 1 Joomla page, a TS3 server and occasionally a csgo server for training resons.

Is that feasible?

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

This is the forums of TurnKey Linux. We provide a library of ~100 software appliances all based on Debian stable (our current v16.x release is based on Debian 10/Buster). So this is probably not the right place for you to get the answers that you are looking for. Regardless, I'll give you my 2c...

I have no idea what you mean by "vservern", although assume you are referring to some sort of virtualisation? Google turned up VServer. I know nothing about it and it doesn't appear to be particularly active (and/or popular), but that could be what you mean? Feel free to elaborate if you want some specific feedback on that. If you have a choice, personally I would recommend either KVM (for full virtualisation) or LXC/LXD for OS level containerisation (and Docker or similar is suitable for app level containerisation). Xen is another full virtualisation option and no longer requires a specific patched guest kernel (when run as a HVM guest).

As to running "2 Wordpress blogs and 1 Joomla page, a TS3 server and occasionally a csgo server" on a server with 1 vCPU & 2 GBs of RAM, if it has low traffic that might be possible. Although IMO it'll likely be stretching the limits. You may find that you need to add swap (which will slow things down even more) to ensure that you don't have crashes caused by insufficient RAM. Personally I would recommend higher specs to run that sort of load. If you use a single DB engine (e.g. MariaDB/MySQL) for all 3 CMSes and use a single install of WordPress (configured to host multiple instances) then that might reduce the load a bit? But only some trial and error will dictate whether or not it will be workable in your usage scenario.

Re using Ubuntu 16.04, it's worth noting that general public support for that release ended back in April 2021. Apparently 16.04 is supported by Extended Security Maintenance but AFAIK, you actually need to sign up for that (I'm pretty sure that you don't just get it - and if you need to support more than 3 instances, then you have to pay). So I would recommend using a newer release if possible (and personally, I prefer Debian, but YMMV).

I hope that's of some value...

Add new comment