jdwfly's picture

Each time I restart my virtual machine, it loses my DNS settings. I set them using the Network Configuration->Hostname and DNS Client web interface. I know how to set them manually, but I was hoping that there might be a simple fix for this.

Turnkey LAMP Appliance

Forum: 
Liraz Siri's picture

You seem to have found a bug in Webmin's Network Configuration module. Instead of editing /etc/network/interfaces it edits /etc/resolv.conf.

I'll notify Webmin developers and I also filed a bug report about this in our bug tracker (you can subscribe to receive update notifications): https://bugs.launchpad.net/turnkeylinux/+bug/371983

Meanwhile you have two options, use the configuration console to configure the network and DNS (Advanced menu->Networking->static IP), or configure it manually by editing /etc/network/interfaces:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
    address 10.0.0.251
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 10.0.0.168
    dns-nameservers 10.0.0.168
Update: filed a bug in Webmin's bug tracker.
recode's picture

a webmin developer said in the next Webmin release, any dns-nameservers entry in /etc/network/interfaces will be updated when changing nameservers. I thought this was a bug but i didn't say anything i just manually edit it lol
jdwfly's picture

Thank you for such a quick reply. I was assuming it was a bug with Webmin, but I wanted to check here first just in case. I thought it may have been a setup issue.

btw, these appliances are a time-saver. I will be deploying one very soon for one of my organization's major websites. Currently I am using a LAMP appliance with a drupal website during the development cycle. I know that I could use the drupal appliance but I like to do the updates as soon as they come out. Keep up the good work.

Add new comment