philcal's picture

The Tomcat appliance is great, but I have a show stopper deploying my application.

In particular,  I'm having trouble debugging, because I can't find where the output of my webapp is going. As a test case, I tried writing to the standard output from a JSP, but it doesn't seem to get logged anywhere. 

<html>
<body>
<%
      System.out.println("JSP Running");
%>
Calculated value: <%= 10 + 20 %>
</body>
</html>

The JSP works just fine, but I can't find where the "JSP Running" message goes. It doesn't seem to go to any of the log files in  /usr/share/tomcat5.5/logs. Can you help me find where the console output is going?

BTW. Thanks for your great efforts. This appliance is great!

Forum: 
philcal's picture

Thanks, I've found that the output location is specified in the startup script /etc/init.d/tomcat5.5:

$DAEMON -user "$TOMCAT5_USER" -cp "$JSVC_CLASSPATH" \
      -outfile SYSLOG -errfile SYSLOG \
      -pidfile "$CATALINA_PID" $JAVA_OPTS "$BOOTSTRAP_CLASS"

And so the default Tomcat output is sent to /var/log/syslog (and can be viewed using Webmin).

Thanks again for great appliance.

Liraz Siri's picture

Great that you figured it out. I was just about to look into your post. Alon did the integration for the Tomcat appliance so I didn't have the answer to your question on hand but now that you've come up with the solution yourself I've add a line to the documentation to simplify this for others.

Thanks for the feedback!

Add new comment