homer15's picture

on each turnkey appliance i use, i've noticed that the mysql root password is never the one i set in the installation.  i don't know what it is, but it's not any of the passwords listed on the info pages for the appliance.  i've just gotten used to resetting the password through the command line and flushing the permissions.  i wasn't sure if this is just happening to me (probably not), or if you guys were even aware of the problem.

Forum: 
Alon Swartz's picture

This sounds like an awful bug, but with all of our testing prior to releasing the appliances setting the mysql root password seems to work. Are you sure you are not confusing the system root password with the mysql root password?

What appliance(s) + version did you test?
Did you install via the boot prompt or the live system?

I'll take another look to see if I can confirm the bug. Could you submit a bug report on the bug tracker.

Has anyone else come across this issue?

homer15's picture

i just did a quick test with all the mysql appliances i have.  

turnkey-lamp-2009.02-hardy-x86.iso

turnkey-mediawiki-2009.03-hardy-x86.iso

turnkey-phpbb-2009.03-hardy-x86.iso

turnkey-wordpress-2009.03-hardy-x86.iso

i installed all of these from the boot menu.  with a simple password of "turnkey" it works fine.  with a complex password like "p@$Sw0rD", it allows me to login to webmin but it says "Login failed : Incorrect administration username or password" for accessing mysql server.  

i'll open a bug report for this right now.

Liraz Siri's picture

Looking at the di-live script that sets the MySQL password I think I know what's wrong: the SQL update command is being passed through to the mysql cli command through the shell, which interpolates certain characters in the password as a variable name "MY$PASS". The fix is easy, just escape the characters (e.g., mkarg() function in commands Python library)
Alon Swartz's picture

This issue has been fixed and will be included in all appliance releases from now on.
For more information, refer to the bug report.

Add new comment