BudgetDedicated's picture

Hi all,

I've got a Ubuntu-Joomla image running and updated the system. The version Joomla gives is still 1.5.12, and security updates have been applied in 1.5.13 and 1.5.14 (30 July 2009). Is this package patched? Or does it still need updating?

Thanx!
Pieter

Forum: 
Liraz Siri's picture

Hi Pieter,

Joomla is a bit of a special case. Debian and Ubuntu both refuse to support Joomla due to frequent security issues, so we've had to take care of that ourselves. To make maintenance a bit easier we don't backport security fixes for Joomla into the released version, but instead test that the update doesn't break anything in terms of functionality. That can be a bit tedious at times, but the worst possible scenario would be to break installations due to insufficient testing.

This is taking a bit longer than usual since we are in the middle of a development cycle but we should have things wrapped up in a couple of days and push the update to our security repository.

Note that with more community participation in the maintenance/development process we could bring response times down for updates so that's something I would definitely like to encourage.

Alon Swartz's picture

In case you missed it: Joomla 1.5.14 package available.
BudgetDedicated's picture

That was pretty fast!

I will use a persistent install and build an image to run as Xen image on our platform.

Thank you.

Add new comment