Claudio Ceballos Paz's picture

What is the difference between Turnkey Linux Core and Ubuntu Server minimal install?

Thanks.

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

I'm not 100% sure as I haven't used a minimal Ubuntu Server install for some time. If you would like to compare packages then the package list for TKL Core is here. You can compile a similar list for a minimal Ubuntu Server install by running

dpkg --get-selections > manifest

This will create a file called manifest in the home folder which will contain a list of all installed packages.

Obviously, there are other differences such as custom configs. For those you'd need to more closely compare the 2 installed systems side by side. (Or get one of the devs to spell out the steps that they took to create it.

But to answer your question possibly more in the spirit with which you asked it, probably the main differences (in my mind) would be:

• Inclusion/config of Webmin
  • Inclusion/config of SSH/SFTP access
  • Cron job to daily do security updates
  • Addition of the custom TKL mini repo to souces

I'm sure there's more but that's it off the top of my head.

Liraz Siri's picture

I'd just like to add that in addition to the features JedMeister mentioned, TurnKey Core also includes our configuration console, installer (on the ISO build), and shellinabox ajax web shell. It's also configured a bit differently from Ubuntu. For example, you can log in as root. We don't force you to go through sudo by default. We figure users that are willing to sacrifice convenience for additional security can set that up themselves.

Note that all the features that make Core distinct from your standard Ubuntu minimal install are documented on the main Core page.

Jeremy Davis's picture

But would involve a fair bit of mucking around.

Perhaps you could talk to them about hosting TKL images (they can be downloaded in prepackaged in OVZ format)? I would imagine that there would be value for the host in offering that...

Jeremy Davis's picture

But all of them will involve a bit of mucking around and none of them are easy...

One possibility that springs to mind is to start with a fully up-to-date Debian Squeeze on your host and then install a 12.1 Core OVZ container to a local server (ProxmoxVE supports OVZ - otherwise I'm not sure...) and ensure that too is up to date. Then rsync from your local OVZ to your hosted one...

Add new comment