Bart Degryse's picture

Dear,

I have been using several Turnkey Virtual Appliances (mainly Drupal and PostgreSQL) for some time now. Great stuff! Thanks, thanks and thanks again.

Now I have a problem though and I was hoping someone could help me out. Let me start with describing the current situation.

I have a Drupal running on my PC. So from a browser on my PC I can access it with eg http://192.168.0.182 and that works great.

My PC is on my little home network. Basically my broadband internet connection first goes to an (old) PC running Smoothwall (=firewall). From my firewall machine it goes to a 16 port router. On that router several machines are connected: my personal PC, my wife's laptop, my Pinnacle Soundbridge music streamer, two NAS devices, the kids' PC, and so on.

My personal PC has received 192.168.0.200 as internal ip address from the DHCP server running on the firewall machine. Of course the firewall machine also has an "outside" ip address which it receives from my ISP. Theoretically this is a dynamic ip address, but in practice it hasn't changed during the last couple of years. Let's say this ip address is 85.218.43.11 (it's not this one of course).

What I want to do now is access my Drupal server (192.168.0.182) from a computer somewhere on the internet (eg my work). How can I do that? Note that doing this won't be permanent. It's just for testing purposes. I also do realise that both my personal PC and the Drupal virtual appliance will need to be running when I want to connect.

Can anyone help me out please? Please consider that I don't know much about networking but am willing to learn. Being a professional programmer I do know how to master a pc and I'm not afraid to fiddle around.

Thanks!

Forum: 
Alon Swartz's picture

Take a look at the NAT (Network Address Translation) and DDNS (Dynamic DNS) documentation. They are not exactly what you are looking for, but should be close enough to your setup to get going.

You should be able to setup NAT on your firewall instead of the described router in the NAT documentation. Also, DDNS is optional if you don't mind accessing the legal IP address directly considering it doesn't change.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Add new comment