Hello.

I am normally a windows user, and have played with linux only a little. I do code some, so am not completely at a loss for command line.

I have a fileserver that runs 2ksp4, without issue. I have a need now to put up another fileserver. I could do this with a windows product. However, I also want to install apache/mysql/php on this machine so that my web guy has an easier time working on the local copy before uploading it to the real webserver, which obviously runs apache/mysql/php.

While I don't implicitly understand all of this, it is none the less my job. I had initially tried FreeNAS along with a dozen other distros, thinking to put a standard linux OS on and run with that. However, the box this is going on is older, and while a good machine, those distros would not install.

I then tried OpenFiler, but was really not happy with it. I tried Turnkey core, and it has installed easily, and the web interface makes it a bit easier for the inexperienced *nix user. I used apt to load apache2 onto the core. Some research reveals really that the LAMP package is everything I need for the web design aspect, and that most likely the fileserver package is what I would need for the data storage aspect, which is the main purpose of this machine.

So the question then is, what am I to do. I already used apt to fetch the LAMP package and the FileServer package, and they did install according to the logs. But I am unsure really if this is the proper method. When you install a package such as FileServer, I assume that the web interface will be a bit different than if you install the LAMP or the core package?

Is there a sequence that I should be following? Are there certain commands to "engage" a package after you install it? For example, if you install the FileServer package onto the core, do I expect to see any utilities/configs for the aspects of that package?

I apologize for the lack of any understanding. Command line should pose no problems, as long as I understand what commands I should be executing.

Any feedback appreciated.

Sul.

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

What you've done should work but you'll have to configure it all yourself. TKL appliances are pre-built and do not have meta-packages, so anything you install (with a couple of minor exceptions) are coming from the Ubuntu (8.04) repositories rather than being specifically TKL packages. If you wish to continue along your current path it should all be fine, but as I said you'll need to configure it yourself. Webmin can be really handy in that regard, install the required modules as follows:

apt-get webmin-phpini webmin-mysql webmin-apache webmin-samba

In my experience Samba can be a tricky beast to configure whereas LAMP is pretty straightforward (assuming you just want a basic Apache/MySQL/php5 setup). If you use the TKL Fileserver as your base (rather than Core) then Samba is preconfigured and you also have access to the Web based eXtplorer file manager. You only have to install the AMP part. Obviously you have already done that on top of Core so I guess you know what you're up to, just in case (and for the benifit of others reading this) here's some instructions.

From memory this should install everything you need for a LAMP:

tasksel install lamp-server

if for some reason that doesn't work or you prefer to have complete control then you can do it all manually:

apt-get install mysql-server-5.0 apache2 php5 libapache2-mod-php5sudo 
/etc/init.d/apache2 restart

you can also install phpMyAdmin (for MySQL management - optional):

apt-get install phpmyadmin

Also to install the Webmin LAMP modules see above (but you don't need to install webmin-samba as its already included).

Add new comment