Krishna Chakra's picture

Dear Team,

We have been using the Turnkey Linkux AMIs on AMAZON EC2 for Demo purposes since March 2010. The EC2 charges have been quite low and have been showing up on the Amazon AWS My Account page.

Then all of a sudden, we had a $400 charged to our card from EC2. This Item doesnt appear on AWS my account. On contacting amazon, this is what they wrote to us.

I'am sorry for any concern related to the recent $400.00 charges from TurnKey Linux and Amazon EC2 . The charge from TurnKey Linux is for the use of their application. You'll be charged separately for your usage of EC2.

For any concerns regarding the service TurnKey Linux is providing you ,please contact them directly. You can do this by visiting the following website: http://www.turnkeylinux.org/help

I thought that the amazon turnkey AMIs were free. Please can you explain the source of this bill

Best Regards,

Krishna

Forum: 
Alon Swartz's picture

Hi Krishna,

As discussed in the EC2 documentation: "Users can try out TurnKey on EC2 for free while we solicit more feedback from the community on pricing here. For now you'll only be paying the regular Amazon EC2 usage fees".

Pricing details are also displayed during the subscription process.

To re-iterate, what this means is that we do not add a premium on top of the regular Amazon EC2 usage fees for use of TurnKey images - but you still need to pay the regular usage fees.

I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding. Is there a way we can make this clearer?

Feel free to contact us directly if you would like to discuss specific billing/pricing issues.

Liraz Siri's picture

Even though users are only charged for the regular EC2 usage fees, the billing shows up under a separate category (e.g., paid AMI activity), which can be a bit confusing if you aren't expecting it.

Glad we got that sorted out.

Add new comment