m maclean's picture

First, I love TK and have been using the appliances for a couple of years now!  Great work!

I currently have the TK torrent appliance installed on one of my machines (version 2009.10-2 I think) and I believe I might need to update the kernel.  I just installed a Marvell 9128 SATA3 PCIe controller for an external eSATA 4-bay drive with two SATA2 drives and two SATA3 drives (all 2TB and non-RAID).  The 8.04 ubuntu kernel will not see or allow the two SATA3 drives to mount - but two SATA2 drives mount fine.  I think this problem might have been solved in kernel 2.6.37-8.20 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/658521).  I know a fair bit about linux but I have never updated *just* a kernel before - especially with a precompiled setup like TK.  Can I just update the kernel without breaking the server and losing all the incomplete downloads/configurations? 

Also, I would probably be using "#apt-get install linux-image-2.6.37-8.20."  Does anyone know if this is the best way to update the kernel?

Thanks for any and all help!

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

TKLBAM is probably your best bet, although you may wish to exclude some folders and back them up separately if you have large mounts of data. You could also try using it to update to the latest (v11.1) TKL release (but if the kernel bug wasn't fixed until kernel 2.6.37 then it probably won't).

Even though TKL is optimised and customised, it's still very much based on Ubuntu (8.04 for v2009.x & 10.04 for v11.x). So any tutorial you can find online for updating the kernel of the associated TKL version should do the trick.

Don Sanderson's picture

Also, I would probably be using "#apt-get install linux-image-2.6.37-8.20."  
Does anyone know if this is the best way to update the kernel?

That's the way I do it and Debian/Ubuntu keep the old kernel as a GRUB entry so you can "Go back to Mommy's arms" if there is a problem.

Haven't blown one up this way yet, but as Jeremy advises do backup first. (First rule of admins who want to keep their job.) smiley

m maclean's picture

Ha!  Thanks guys for the info and suggestions!  I wil give it a try and report back. 

Add new comment