Brad Ummer's picture

I'm not sure if this is more related to VirtualBox or to TurnKey, but either way I though I'd see if anyone had any thoughts on this. I'm having a problem on a Windows XP Pro Dell 4500 host computer booting a guest of TKL. It's a fresh install of VirtualBox 4.0.4 and I'm using the TKL LAMP stack (although I've tried a few different TKL stacks and they all result in the exact same problem). After doing the Import Appliance and starting the appliance, it opens the window, does a 3, 2, 1, 0 countdown, and then just sits on the black screen with 0 in the corner, using 100% of my CPU. I've let it sit for 15 minutes and it never continues, always at 100% CPU. Looking at the VBox.log file, I see it progressing until it gets to the line:

Guest Log: BIOS: Booting from Hard Disk...

and that's where it hangs. It stays there until I click to close the window and force it to shut down. I've tried a number of different setting changes, as well as completely disabling the firewall and virus protection, but I always get the same result. I have another machine (home built) that I also have VirtualBox running on and when I try the same TurnKey stacks on there it works just fine. So it must be something specific to this Dell machine. 

I've attached the VBox.log file if that helps. In that file you'll see at 00:00:19.959 where it hangs until I kill it at 00:00:31.125. When I compare the log file from the computer that is hanging with the log file from the computer that is working, the only real difference that I can see is that the hanging box's log has this line:
00:00:16.639 Console::configNetwork: DeviceIoControl failed, err (0x57), ignoring
Could this be related to networking? I've tried tinkering with the network setting and it didn't make any difference.

Host: Dell 4500, Windows XP Pro, 2GB RAM, Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40GHz
Forum: 
Adrian Moya's picture

I'm just gessing here, but a P4 I think it doesn't have virtualization extensions. You can play a bit in the System settings for that VM, try changing the Chipset, under Procesor be sure PAE is disabled, and under Acceleration disable VT-x/AMD-V support.

Hope it helps

Brad Ummer's picture

Thanks for your suggestions. I tried the following (separately and in combinations):

- Changed the chipset to ICH9 (and also enabled IO APIC as instructed) = Same hang

- Disabled PAE = Got fatal  error when guest tried to switch to PAE mode. Note, the host's System Properties > General window doesn't list PAE so I assume I don't have it.

- I don't have an Acceleration tab at all, so I'm guessing a P4 processor might just be too old to run VB or Ubuntu.

I'm going to keep trying things, but I'm not too hopeful...

Add new comment