David's picture

Could someone please point me in the right direction to get a walkthrough of how to install the VMware tools on the Drupal 7 appliance.

Thank you

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

If you use either of the TKL generic VM images then AFAIK they should already be installed.

Otherwise I'm not sure how it's done, but there are a number of threads that discuss VMware tools. Have a look here. From a quick glance though they all seem to apply to previous versions of TKL so may not be of much use to you.

I suggest that you google something like "install vmware tools debian 6" then you should find something useful (TKL v12.x is based on Debian 6.0 aka Squeeze). Be great if you could document your steps and post back the commands that work (or not) for you as others may be in your situation and it will give them a head start. Also I may be able to help you out if you get stuck...

David's picture

The generic images didn't work for me.

Here is what I did.

apt-get install make gcc

apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

Insert the VMware tools cd in the drive

mount /dev/cdrom /mnt

cp /mnt/VMwareTools-8.6.5-621624.tar.gz /tmp

cd /

cd /tmp

tar xvzf VMwareTools-8.6.5-621624.tar.gz

cd vmware-tools-distrib/

./vmware-install.pl

hit enter to accept all the defaults during the installation

reboot

I'm not very fluent in linux so please let me know if this works and is the proper way of completing this process. Thanks.

Also, Is it reccommended to run 'apt-get update && apt-get upgrade' before this install on a turnkey machine or to run those commands at all on a turnkey machine?

Jeremy Davis's picture

But I can't be sure without testing and even then without a VMware product to test it on...

As for apt-get update && apt-get upgrade - that is entirely up to you and depends on your experience and your usage scenario. If everything is working ok, then there is no reason to fix something that is not broken. TKL automatically installs security updates so unless something isn't working, then there's not really any real advantage. 'apt-get update' won't ever cause you any issues and is in fact recommended before you install anything (it refreshes the local list of available packages - you could run it before your above code) but the 'apt-get upgrade' is optional - and may occasionally cause you problems - although generally it should be fine...

David's picture

Thanks for being so helpful on these boards. Your posts have helped me work through various issues I've run into.

Jeremy Davis's picture

Just fixed a typo on my above post and added a little bit to make it cleaer (I hope).

And FYI the '&&' between the commands basically means: Do the first bit (before the '&&') and if that goes ok then do the other bit (after the '&&').

Add new comment