obile's picture

I cannot access Webmin via SSL.

I want to point out I did not install this turnkey linux setup or webmin.  If I make ssl=1 into ssl=0 in the /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf file I can connect and login to webmin via http.  However, I really need this to work over https.

This is the error I get in IE:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.

In Firefox:

The connection was reset.

In Chrome:

This webpage is not available.

I have confirmed that port=12321 and listen=12321 in /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf as well.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

It appears it may not be listening properly.

netstat -lp --inet shows :

Active Internet connections (only servers)

Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name

tcp        0      0 localhost:mysql         *:*                     LISTEN      1328/mysqld    

tcp        0      0 *:ssh                   *:*                     LISTEN      1357/sshd      

tcp        0      0 localhost:smtp          *:*                     LISTEN      1487/master    

tcp        0      0 *:12321                 *:*                     LISTEN      2330/perl      

udp        0      0 subdomain.domain:ntp *:*                                 1164/ntpd      

udp        0      0 localhost:ntp           *:*                                 1164/ntpd      

udp        0      0 *:ntp                   *:*                                 1164/ntpd      

udp        0      0 *:12321                 *:*                                 2330/perl      

Forum: 
Tags: 
Len's picture

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Jeremy Davis's picture

I suggest that you check your 'Internet Settings'. IIRC if you have your IE/Windows Internet Security Settings on 'High' then only https sites with CA signed certs are allowed by default (and by default all other web browsers will comply with IE/Win settings).

I also recall at one point I had a similar problem (although it wasn't on all browsers - IIRC it was only Firefox) that I had accidentally clicked a button which blocked the site (following the self-signed cert warning). I had to remove the black-listing of my server. I suspect that isn't your issue but thought I'd mention it just in case...

One other thing that I have experienced is another similar problem I had (although again not on all browsers, this time it was Chrome and it wasn't even TKL server but my Proxmox Server although similar thing...). I was getting the "This webpage is not available" error but it worker fine via Firefox. SImply cleaning the browser cache resolved that one...

Also obile, I note you say that it looks like it's not "listening properly". Why do you say that? Perhaps I'm missing something but it looks ok to me... namely:

tcp        0      0 *:12321                 *:*                     LISTEN      2330/perl
udp        0      0 *:12321                 *:*                                 2330/perl

Webmin is a Perl app and should be listening on 12321 and it appears to be identical to a working server that I have handy (except for the Perl PID obviously):

tcp        0      0 *:12321                 *:*                     LISTEN      774/perl
udp        0      0 *:12321                 *:*                                 774/perl
Len's picture

Thanks for the relpy JedMeister. I appreciate the help.

In the end it was simpler than that. The IP address I had assigned was being used by another device. All working now.

Add new comment