RAUL BENITEZ's picture

So I have Webmin installed on ubuntu and thats on a AWS EC3 server. I want to host a domain on it and created a virtual site in webmin. On the DNS end I changed the A record of the domain to the servers ip address and I'm using my hosting company (hover) DNS. 

I put up a test html page to see if things are working. 

Now when I ping the domain it shows the ip address of my server but does not route. 

I checked everything on the webmin side and the conf file and it looks ok but not sure why its not resolving.

Obviously I missed a step or maybe I cant do this with an AWS server?

I confirmed that apache is listening to port 80.

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04.1 and webmin version 1.620 running apache2 2.2.14

Thanks!

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

Perhaps you'll get some relevant help here (as TKL has Webmin installed by default) but you may get more help on Ubuntu forums (previous version of TKL was based on Ubuntu 10.04, but current version is based on Debian Squeeze and upcoming version based on Debian Wheezy).

Personally I have never had much luck using Webmin to configure Apache (I have never been able to get it to work - although I gave up pretty easy...) but I know others have so it must be possible. I have just manually created/edited Apache sites files and find that's pretty easy, straight forward and reliable.

RAUL BENITEZ's picture

Maybe I should do them manually then. I have another issue that I just realized and that is that coldfusion is running on this server as we used the server to test a coldfusion site so I wonder if coldfusion is running through apache and I have go through that route.

WHat I did end up doing is start using the Route 53 dns service amazon provides so if I have everyting config right on the server end this should work and route.

I'll be doing a lot of testing today.

RAUL BENITEZ's picture

Man I still cant get this domain to route. I had two A records pointing to the server ip so I removed one and just kept the A record in Route 53. Now when I ping I get a response, sort of, but now routing.

C:\Users\raul>ping raulito.net

Pinging raulito.net [50.112.xx.xx] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 50.112.xx.xx:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

So its getting there sort of. Maybe apache dosent know were to send the request.
Any ideas?

Jeremy Davis's picture

And is irrelevant to Apache (it'll never work until your DNS is sorted - unless of course you hard code it into your hosts file or set up a local DNS with it hardcoded in).

Yes you should definately only have one A record per domain name (then CNAME records for sub domains).

Do you have an elastic IP? If not then perhaps your public IP has changed?

Add new comment