I have a LAMP server running a MediaWiki installation. I'd like to send visitors directly to the wiki when they type in mywebsite.com instead of to the default index.php page.

What I've tried so far is a number of edits to the /etc/apache2/sites-available/default file. For example, by default the DocumentRoot and Directory values are set to /var/www/ (this is where index.php is located). When I changed that to /var/www/w/ (where the wiki is located) it did start sending visitors to the wiki page, albeit with a 404 on every page. Edits I've done have involved combinations of no slash at the end and only changing one of the variables.

I'm pretty sure I'm editing the correct file as per someone else who was trying to do the same thing: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5891802/how-do-i-change-the-root-dire...

I'm clearly missing something here though. I know this is probably a very basic question but I'm stumped. Should I *not* be editing /etc/apache2/sites-available/default and instead create a .htaccess file somewhere from scratch? (None exists as far as I can tell).

Are there any Turnkey pecularities I should be aware of while searching for the answer?

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

IDK but I'm guessing that if you installed it to a subfolder then perhaps you need to adjust some config so it knows its running in the web root now...

No need to create an .htaccess file... Adjusting the default site config achieves the same end.

TKL v12.1 is based on Debian Squeeze...

Add new comment