Darmadi's picture

Hello,

I have been install turnkey linux file server sucessfuly. First I install with 1 hard drive 80Gb capacity. Then I added new hard drive with capacity 4TB. And added to LVM successfuly. After a week, I restarted my turnkey file server but can't boot up with stuck in error:

Gave up waiting for root file system bla bla bla...

ALERT!!! /dev/disk/by-UUID/xxx does not exist

Dropping to a shell

When I try a command blkid then I could not find disk by UUID xxx. They appear just UUID by sda1, sda5 and sdb. sda1, sda5 are my 80gb hard drive and sdb is my 4tb hard drive.

But when I try to boot turnkey linux with live cd, then command blkid found UUID xxx like in alert. with point to /dev/mapper/...

Could you please provide me the exact issue about that?

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

Perhaps you workaround this issue by adjusting it to just use the /dev/sdXN (e.g. /dev/sda1) identifier (rather than the UID). That shouldn't have any negative consequences as long as you don't add further additional hardware or change where the drives connect.

Darmadi's picture

I try to adjust boot menu by typing "e" when system boot up and show turnkey boot menu. I try to change line

linux /vm-linuz-2.6.32-5-amd64 root=UUID=xxx

change xxx with UUID of my sda1 or sda5 but still not working. sda1 is ext2 file system, and sda5 is lvm2 member.

Also there is line like this

set root='(hd0,msdos1)'

is that right?

Jeremy Davis's picture

And try updating/reinstalling Grub(2). It's been a while since I have done it and so rather than risk leading you astray I suggest you have a search yourself. there should be plenty of info around - try googling "update grub from live cd debian wheezy" or similar. If you are using v12.x then substitue 'squeeze' for 'wheezy'...

Add new comment