Michael Curtis's picture


I am running the Wordpress server and two nights ago my sites went down. Wordpress is giving me a Error Establishing a Database Connection error. The webmin site (port 1231) has no site and I can't login in to phpmyadmin.

If I reboot the server my site will stay up for about 5 minutes and then the errors will return. I have checked the database tables and they're good.

I am not sure where to look next. Does anyone have any idea where to look?

Best wishes



Jeremy Davis's picture

Is it hardware or VM? Or somewhere else like AWS?

Can you double check Webmin; the port should be 12321. With the behaviour you are describing (with exception of Webmin) it sounds like MySQL could be crashing. That could be happening for a multitude of reasons, RAM (not enough, or corrupted), HDD (not enough space or corrupted) or something else...

When the server is up, you may want to get copies of the logs to examine at your convenience. Have a look in /var/log you'll be after the MySQL ones (IIRC they will be in a 'mysql' dir) and possibly the daemon.log

Michael Curtis's picture

This is VM. The console says the port should be 12321 and it has worked before.

This is my systems stats

   System load:  0.00              Memory usage:  7%

    Processes:    84                Swap usage:    6%

    Usage of /:   7.2% of 36.42GB   IP address for eth0: x.x.x.x

I was thinking disk space as well, but a df -h gives me this

Filesystem                Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on

rootfs                     37G  2.7G   32G   8% /

udev                       10M     0   10M   0% /dev

tmpfs                     397M  168K  397M   1% /run

/dev/mapper/turnkey-root   37G  2.7G   32G   8% /

tmpfs                     5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock

tmpfs                     794M     0  794M   0% /run/shm

/dev/sda1                 415M   19M  375M   5% /boot


I will take a look at the logs and see what I can find. I apprecaite you replying.

Best wishes



Michael Curtis's picture

I decided to restart mysql manually and it came up and stayed up.

I then restarted Webmin and that stayed up to.

I left it for a few hours and then rebooted the server, it has been stable ever since.

I had rebooted the server 3 times previously and it never stayed up, so what happened this time I have no idea.

Best wishes



Add new comment