Tony Upson's picture

Greetings,

I was attempting to resolve my "OTRS Scheduler" issue within my other post (here) and as I was browsing around Webmin, I went into MySQL and changed the IP Address from 127.0.0.1 to the Appliance IP Address (assuming this wouldnt break anything).

After I hit SAVE, it indicated that the permissions bound to 127.0.0.1 were lost and that I had to reauthenticate credentials to MySQL to proceed with the changes.

Clearly, none of the passwords I set during the initial appliance install are taking and its also indicating the password was (YES) and/or (NO) under the error message; which also isnt working.

Error:

The full MySQL error message was : DBI connect failed : Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

How do I resolve this, so that it is back to its default settings that was apparently automatically set during creation.

I could have sworn it asked me to create a Root password for the OS and MySQL; which I did, so why isnt this password working?

I went into the /etc/mysql/my.cnf file to change the IP Address Binding back to 127.0.0.1, saved and reset the server, but the credentials are still borked.

Help... this has ruined my connection to my OTRS Ticketing System as well.

Forum: 
Tags: 
Tony Upson's picture

If anyone can assist, this is really urgent in my situation as we released our Ticketing System live.

- Tony

Network Engineer

Federal Gov't

Jeremy Davis's picture

TBH I'm not sure why changing the MySQL bind IP has upset things so much... Although TBH I don't understand why it would be asking for credentials at all...

You can try resetting the root mysql password by re-running the inithook

/usr/lib/inithooks/bin/mysqlconf.py
And if OTRS still can't connect then you can try regenerating the otrs mysql password:
/usr/lib/inithooks/firstboot.d/20regen-otrs-secrets
Jeremy Davis's picture

Also as (virtual) infrastructure is cheap I'd personally have a VM preconfigured ready to restore a backup to just in case...
Tony Upson's picture

Thanks Ill try that. I tried to go into Webmain and TLKBAM --> Restore and it failed, so perhaps that is the incorrect way to restore from A3. But I rebuilt one and was planning on running a cleaned appliance with all the things we found buggy just to start from scratch.

I thought the SysCong --> Export Config was going to re-imort all my Queue/Auto Reponses and such, but apparently that doesnt get exported =\

So if your instrutions above work, i am going to save all of those entries to a text file just incase.

- Tony

Network Engineer

Federal Gov't

Tony Upson's picture

This is the error I get when I run that command

- Tony

Network Engineer

Federal Gov't

Jeremy Davis's picture

The /etc/mysql/debian.cnf contains the credentials for the special system user account - which is used to reset passwords and do maintenance within cron jobs etc. For some reason it's inaccessible on your system!?

It's definitely there (and working as it should) in the OTRS server I set up earlier (to test out your scheduler issue).

Webmin should not have done anything to it but it's the only thing I can think of. Can you recall your exact steps (in Webmin) and I'll try to recreate it. I had a quick look and changed the "127.0.0.1" in the user section for the root user to the local IP (under Servers >> MySQL >> User Permissions). This definitely broke OTRS but I ran the script and it worked fine for me... OTRS still appears to be broken now but MySQL is fine...

Tony Upson's picture

Yes, that was all I did was changed that 127.0.0.1 in the user section.

After that, when I clicked on Servers -- MySQL it was asking for credentials. I then googled the error and tried the following:

host: /etc/init.d/mysql stop
host: mysqld --skip-grant-tables &
host: mysql -u root mysql
host: UPDATE user SET Password=PASSWORD('MYNEWPASSWORD') WHERE User='root'; FLUSH PRIVILEGES; exit;

This indicated it changed 3 areas within the database, but still failed to log in.

I found another Goolg entry and tried:

Webmin -> Servers -> MySQL -> Module Config, and in the field "Administration password", tried resetting the password that I originally set up.

This was all before your reply, so perhaps doesnt work on Debian, but I was desperate at this point.

- Tony

Network Engineer

Federal Gov't

Tony Upson's picture

Correction: I changed the IP Address under Servers --> MySQL --> MySQL Server Configuration --> MySQL server listening address. (Not within User Permissions).

- Tony

Network Engineer

Federal Gov't

Tony Upson's picture

Don't spend too much time on this, unless you want to test my situation. I ended up building a new appliance from scratch and jus recreating everything. The config import helped a lot of the backend settings, but having to recreate the agents, auto responses, templates, states, types, and notifications was boring, but easy enough to do. I didnt have any tickets in the database yet, since it was just released on Monday, so I didnt really care about losing any history.

Once I finalize on setting up this appliance though, I am going to convert it into a template and save it for a rainy day and build a secondary system for use.

- Tony

Network Engineer

Federal Gov't

Add new comment