Adam Frankel's picture

So I am trying to deploy a pilot wiki for our enterprise using turnkey.

I have deployed TWiki and MoinMoin.

Using Twiki I am able to set the admin password if it is a simple password based on the recommendations from this thread:

https://github.com/turnkeylinux/tracker/issues/206

I prefer MoinMoin but I have deployed the OVA over a dozen times using various passwords including simple and complex and have not been able to login as the admin user.

I'll also add that during the initial setup wizard I am seeing some sort of traceback error being flashed on the screen after the password wizard, but before the network setup but I have been unable to capture it.

Is this a known issue?

Forum: 
Adam Frankel's picture

So I think the issue is that within

/usr/lib/inithooks/bin/moinmoin.py

We are calling encodePassword with a single parameter (the password)  when at least 2 are required.  

encodePassword is defined in user.py as such.

encodePassword(cfg, pwd, salt=None, scheme=None)

I tried digging around but couldn't find what the cfg should be.  I think we should probably be setting the salt and the scheme as well, though those are optional.

--

Adam

Jeremy Davis's picture

The new fixed Twiki appliance (v14.1) should be available very soon (as part of the v14.1 release), but I wasn't aware of the MoinMoin bug... FWIW I lodged it on our issue tracker here.

It's definitely the inithook (/usr/lib/inithooks/bin/moinmoin.py). After much bashing around (I'm more of a sysadmin that a python programmer) I think I have resolved it. Have a look here. I'll do some more testing and commit the code. Then I will rebuild the appliance for the v14.1 release (I only just finished the v14.1 builds ready for release).

Jeremy Davis's picture

Sorry didn't respond to your notes/suggestions. I'm not 100% but from what I can gather, if the salt isn't defined it generates one and if the scheme is not defined then it uses the default (which seems to be PASSLIB) which is probably what we want anyway...

We probably should do some more research and make sure that I'm right though...

Jeremy Davis's picture

I have fixed the Moinmoin appliance. You were on the money with what the problem was. I found the solution. Then new version will be fixed, but in the meantime if you want to fix your current machine, please do that changes to /usr/lib/inithooks/bin/moinmoin.py as per this on github. You'll need to rerun the inithook after you've done that. Do it like this:
/usr/lib/inithooks/bin/moinmoin.py
Adam Frankel's picture

Thanks Jeremy.   I apreciate your support.

I have gotten busy with other things but should be able to test the new inithooks soon.

--

Adam

Jeremy Davis's picture

We can't fix the bugs until we know about them! We do have a testing regime but sometimes it can fall short...
Jeremy Davis's picture

I'm only guessing but I wonder if it is because of some caching mechanism (either server side or client side)?

You could easily test client side by using a different browser (if you have multiple ones installed). Or you could use a private/incognito window. Or just clearing all your cookies/cache.

Server side caching is probably a bit more of a pain. TBH I'm not 100% sure OTTOMH what caching mechanism MoinMoin uses. Hopefully google might help out there?

If it's not a client side caching thing, then we probably should open a new issue on the tracker so we can try to resolve it.

Add new comment