Richard's picture

Hello everyone.  I am new to Turnkey Linux and still trying to figure it all out.  I am currently using Fileserver and loving how simple and effective it is over some of the others (FreeNAS, OpenFiler etc).  Here is where i need your help.  I had to reboot the server and the following message appeared;

error: Incompatible License, Entering rescue mode... Grub Rescue>

Could someone please advise as what this error is about and how to repair it as my fileserver which I am using for PLEX is still down.  Still being new, step to step process to repair would be greatly appreciated.  Thanx..

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

Apologies on the very slow response.

That is a very weird issue to have and I've never come across it myself. I just had a quick google and it seems the error is caused by a module that grub (the bootloader) is trying to load, does not have a compatible license.

All the default TurnKey Linux modules should be fine so I wouldn't expect any issues there. Have you installed anything yourself which may explain this weirdness?

Having said that, the most common cause appears to be trying to load grub1 (v1.x<98) modules with grub2 (v1.98+). Is there a possibility that you had some older Linux OS installed at some point and grub is trying to load old modules from that?

Could you please rpvide a bit more info on how/where you are running the fileserver (e.g. bare metal install, VM on VirtualBox, something else...) and also what version of TurnKey it was (the current version is v14.1).

Add new comment