Danjel Jungersen's picture

I have installed a PDC from ISO.

I have gone through the setup process.

I have followed:

But when I try to add a client the client says:
Domain not found (Or similar, not an english windows).

I suspect that it is actually found, because if I enter rubbish ind the domain name field, it says "domain not found" at once, but if I enter the correct domain name, it ask for at username and password. After some time, it tells me the same thing.

I have tried with a created user account, created with webmin.
I have tried with "administrator"
I have tried with "root"

All the same result.

Windows 10 pro client.

Any suggestions?

Jeremy Davis's picture

Although I did test the TurnKey Domain-Controller appliance back when we first produced it, I don't use Windows much these days and it was quite a while ago, so I don't recall much about it and am not really confident with current versions of Windows. But I'll do my best to share my thoughts and knowledge and hopefully that may point you in the right direction.

This may be a little pedantic, but the first thing worth noting is that if you are using the current v15.x TurnKey Domain Controller, that is NOT a PDC (primary domain controller). PDCs only apply to the older NT style domains and the TurnKey appliance provides the newer AD (Active Directory) style domain (IIRC an AD domain equivalent to that provided by Windows Server 2008/2008R2). In an AD domain, all domain controllers are equal (so there is no "primary" DC).

Anyway, the Samba wiki page (linked to in our doc page) for joining a domain should be relevant.

By default, the (Linux) user account that you'll need to use to join the domain is 'root'.

One thing that jumps to mind is that for Windows domains, time is really important. If there is a time difference too great (5 minutes according to the Samba docs) between the server and client, then joining a Windows domain will fail. I recall having issues with time being out of sync during testing. IIRC I just ran a time update on both the client and the server and it then worked. Whilst Windows normally auto-updates the time, if it's too far out of whack (I forget the limit) it won't auto update the time. Unfortunately, I can't point you to docs on doing that within Windows, but google should help out. On TurnKey, you can update the time like this:

service ntp stop
ntpdate -s TIMESERVER
service ntp start

Where TIMESERVER is the FQDN of a ntp timeserver. I suggest using the same one for both Windows and Linux. By default, TurnKey uses pool.ntp.org timeservers (explicitly, 0.pool.ntp.org -> 3.pool.ntp.org) but there are plenty of other options.

Also worthy of note if you're not a regular Linux user, is that by default, Linux uses UTC time for the system (and translates that to a specific timezone if you set a timezone), whereas Windows uses the specific timezone that you set on install. So it's worth checking that you have the Windows timezone set correctly (the Linux timezone should be irrelevant, so long as the UTC time is correct - the system can translate between timezones).

As hinted, setting a Linux timezone should not be required, but it certainly won't do any harm. Set the Linux timezone like this:

dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

And follow the prompts.

I hope that provides some assistance in getting you going. If you continue to have issues, please feel free to post back.

Add new comment