Jerome's picture

title says it all really I have gone through some kind of setup in windows 10, and it gave me a generated password that I am supposed to give to all other users in my domain... but I do not know where that password goes in the samba config.... there are so many settings and stuff I am totally lost.

Forum: 
Jerome's picture

homegroup password, Im sorry not domain.

Jeremy Davis's picture

I stopped using Windows around Win7 and I vaguely recall some sort of local home network setup that sounds a little like what you're talking about. I might be wrong, but I think that's irrelevant. Or perhaps it's just another way of doing things, that I'm unfamiliar with?

It's been a long while since I've used a Windows PC, but connecting to TurnKey Fileserver should be exactly the same as (historically) connecting to any remote Windows fileshare. I.e. open Explorer and browse to '\\<FILESERVER_IP_OR_DOMAIN>\<SHARE>' (obviously use your server IP or domain and the name of your share.

If you haven't set anything up, then you should be able to log in with the 'root' user and whatever password you set on firstboot. You can save a shortcut somewhere and you should only need to authenticate (i.e. provide username and password) once per session (i.e. you'll need to re-authenticate once you log out). If you plan to use it a fair bit, you may even want to map them to a drive letter?!

Once you have confirmed that's working as intended, then you can configure your shares and/or additional users, etc.

Jerome's picture

i can login to the server just fine, eirther via ssh or webmin.  do you mean i should use windows expoler (the file manager) or internet explorer?

Jeremy Davis's picture

Yeah I meant Windows Explorer (the file manager). That's how I've always connected to Windows network shares. Although I think you can do it from the Windows commandline too.

However, I just did a quick google to try to find you some resources that might help (more than I can due to my lack of experience with Win10). It sounds like Windows 10 may have issues connecting to Samba by default? And perhaps there is another way to set things up on Win10?

Anyway, here are a couple of links I found googling "connect samba to windows 10 home network" (Samba is the Linux software that provides Windows file shares):

• https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-connect-to-linux-samba-shares-from-windows-10/
  • https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/eba9a147-c1de-41b1-99aa-9c65efd45d8f/cant-access-smb-share-after-update-to-1709?forum=win10itpronetworking

Please note, I haven't read through them extensively so I can't be sure that they will be a massive help. If they don't provide much info for you, I suggest that you do your own googling. To assist with that, it's probably well worth knowing that TurnKey Linux v14.x is based on Debian 8 "Jessie". We use Samba4 to provide the Windows file shares facility.

I hope that heads you in the right direction. Please feel free to come back at me with more questions if anything you read doesn't make sense, you find conflicting info, or you're unsure of whether the advice you read elsewhere is good.

Once you have it working, it'd also be great if you could post back on how you got there. It could be a fantastic resource for someone like you in the future! :)

• Jerome's picture

firgured it out awhile ago, right click on network icon that is on the left side of the windows file explorer and 'map network drive' shows up, its straightforward from there.

Jeremy Davis's picture

Awesome to hear that you worked it out. Thanks tons for posting back. I'm sure other will find that info useful!

Add new comment