L. Arnold's picture

I was going to just send an email but I thought it a learning opportunity.

So, my tkl-nomadic-odoo repository is some level of "defined fork" in the turnkeylinux-apps odoo Code Base.

I can generally do a git clone of the current turnkey-linux-apps/odoo repository and do some TKLDEV work with it.  However, I want to work backwards a bit and make some stepping stones of Odoo so that I can actually upgrade my version 8 to version 12 Odoo.  I also would like to work some of the OCA codebase into the TKLDEV builds as those really help the system along in my opinion.

I am "out of practice" with Git.  

I did find an optic that shows the differential between my repository and the current turnkeylinux-apps/odoo repository here
https://github.com/l-arnold/tkl-nomadic-odoo/compare/master...turnkeylinux-apps:master

I cannot run TKLDEV 16 off of my old repository  (crashing, unknown reasons and I really only want to build in TKLDEV 16).

My goal is to build branches like the following:

1. Odoo 8
  2. Odoo 9
  3. Odoo 10
  4. Odoo 11
  5. Odoo 12
  6. (perhaps more)

There are some concise instructions on how to run Open Upgrade to migrate Odoo forward.  This must be done, one generation at a time, so I cannot, as it were just skip from Odoo 8 to Odoo 12.

Thoughts or directions on how to proceed for building this without spending a month on the project?

Thank you in advance, Jeremy, as I expect you will be the one commenting first.

Happy New year by the way.

Landis

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

Apologies for slow response... I've been away.

It sounds like you want to update the version of Odoo you are using and update/migrate any existing Odoo code/data you have in your current server, to the latest/current TurnKey Odoo server. Is that correct?

In that case, I'm not completely clear of the value of using TKLDev within that process?!

TKLDev is great at building an OS with specific packages. But you'll only need to use those intermediate versions of Odoo once. So writing code to build a new instance with a particular intermediate version of Odoo seems like a fair bit of work, for little value. Seeing as you only need to do it once, why not just update the Odoo version on your server to each required intermediate version as you go?

Personally, what I'd do is start with a clone of your current server (personally I like to work with a local VM, but an AWS clone is fine too). Then just do the required Odoo upgrades in place there. Take notes as you go, just in case you have to roll back and start again. Take new snapshots as you hit successful milestones.

Once you have it running on a current version of Odoo (v12 or later) then you can then look to transfer it to the current TurnKey Odoo appliance if you wish.

Add new comment