fstone35's picture

Sorry for the truly noob question - I just started playing with TKL. I need to set up a server for my daughter's business and I want to run EspoCRM, Tracks, and SimpleInvoices on the same machine. I'm thinking that I should start with TKL-core and add the three containers but I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it. Even if it is, since I'm new to TKL I'm not sure how to do this. I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction. TKL seems very interesting to me but I haven't had much time to play - I need to get this server up and running first. Thanks again.

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

We have all been newbs at some point (despite the fact that many seem to forget). So by all means, don't be scared to ask! :)

Do you intend to run these on a local machine? Or in the cloud?

If you plan to run on the cloud, then the best way to combine them all in one, is probably along the lines that you note (using docker, or perhaps LXC?). We do have an LXC host appliance which might make the learning curve a little easier, but it is a commandline only interface, so it's not quite "point and click". The docker option will be a somewhat similar experience, but you'll also need to install docker itself first (although that shouldn't be too hard).

Unfortunately, exactly how to do all of this on TurnKey is properly documented (at least specifically for TurnKey). If you would like to help improve that, it would be warmly welcomed, although it may be a tough ask, if you're not even sure where to start! Having said all that, TurnKey is Debian under the hood. So as a general rule, anything related to Debian, is directly relevant to TurnKey (v14.x = Debian Jessie). FWIW Ubuntu is also the based on Debian (although not binary compatible as TurnKey is) so many times instructions for that are also relevant (but please avoid adding non-Debian/Ubuntu repos and/or installing software specifically built for Ubuntu).

Alternatively, if you plan on running in on local (or remote) hardware that you will have direct access to, then I would encourage you to have a look at Proxmox. It's a headless bare metal hypervisor, with a pretty but powerful WebUI. So you install that on your hardware, then install other stuff (like TurnKey or whatever) on top of it. It supports both LXC (with TurnKey appliances available for download and launch within the UI) and KVM (full virtualisation which supports ISO installs of pretty much any OS).

Add new comment