Arthur Summers's picture

I suspect this may be a TKL issue since I'm not finding help elsewhere, so I'm posting here first.

I've downloaded the most recent TKL OpenVPN appliance, set it up as a gateway, created a profile, and can successfully connect to my remote network. Everything is extremely vanilla - I didn't modify the TKL appliance beyond the initial wizard. However, I cannot SSH to any of the systems on the remote network once I have connected to the VPN. Strangely, I can do all of this:

• I can ping all of the servers, so they are reachable
  • I can telnet to the remote systems with port 22, so the port isn't blocked
  • I can reach web resources on remote systems such as:
    • The TKL Webmin and Shell-in-a-Box services running on the OpenVPN server
    • Web pages hosted on a Wordpress system set up behind the VPN

I just can't SSH to any of the servers behind the VPN once I'm connected. Any ideas?

Forum: 
Tags: 
Arthur Summers's picture

I feel extremely stupid. I've been trying to connect when tethered to my Android phone (I'm on the road for Christmas), and when I reached a hotel, everything worked. It turns out that in the "Hotspot" settings on Android, there's an option for "Allow clients to use VPNs." As soon as I toggled that, I could connect and SSH to systems without issue. Sorry to bother - feel free to delete this if you'd like!

Jeremy Davis's picture

Don't worry too much, it happens to the best of us! I'm certainly not immune to overlooking possibilities when trying to troubleshoot issues.

Thanks for posting back and I think your post is good to leave here. Your post might be just the prompt someone else needs to find their issue?!

Add new comment