Ken Watson's picture

I am running Turnkey File Server 17.* as an LXC container on Proxmox 7.3-4. I am using self-signed certificates from a CA running a pfsense appliance.  I am trying to add SSL certs but have not been able to get things to work. Based on information I found elsewhere, I ran the following commands on the file server:

1/ cat private.key  yourcommonname.crt > /etc/webmin/miniserv.pem

2/ Added extracas=/etc/webmin/intermediate_Cert.crt to the /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf   

After making these changes I get error: “This web server is running in SSL mode. Try the URL https://localhost:10000/ instead” when trying to access the file server. I am not able to get access when I do enter the suggested URL.

I have read many of the posts on adding SSL certs to Turnkey appliances but I cannot get any of them to work.  Any suggestions on how to resolve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Forum: 
Jeremy Davis's picture

Check out this thread. BJWTech was asking in relation to our Domain Controller, but the theory remains exactly the same for all TurnKey appliances. All HTTPS connections use that same cert by default.

Hopefully that gets you going in the right direction?! If you continue to have problems, please give specifics on what you mean by "cannot get any of them to work". I.e. what have you explicitly tried and what was the result/error message/etc?

Ken Watson's picture

The solution was to combine my certificate and private key into /etc/ssl/private/cert.pem as instructed by the response from Mr. Jeremy Davis. I also removed the changes I had made in the initial post of this thread. Thank you for you help.

Jeremy Davis's picture

Thanks for confirming Ken.

Please do not hesitate to post if you have any further concerns, questions or feedback about anything TurnKey related.

Chris Whorton's picture

Not sure how to fix the SSL for TK Wordpress or Bullseye (17.1).

Not a great linux guy to figure this one out, but if i had a little help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Getting Fatal error also with dehydrated-wrapper. Exited with non-zero exit code.

We have briefly opened the firewall to the site with the correct DNS and tested connection from outside.

Opened confconsole and added webservername.domain.com (listed in DNS) and ran the script.

Fatal Error.

Thank you for the help.

Jeremy Davis's picture

Unless your issue is directly related to the thread you are posting in, it's good netiquette to start your own thread. So I've moved (a copy) of your initial post (and our replies) to a new thread for you. I'll respond there in a sec too.

Add new comment